Gravitational force and tangential velocity of planets

In summary: that will explain all of this in more detail. :smile: in summary, this is a problem with handling vectors in space, and you will need to use general relativity to get a more accurate result.
Cfem
This isn't a HW question exactly, but I'm trying to model planetary motion and I've having trouble remembering something I learned a while ago when I took physics.

I remember that the tangential velocity for a something to orbit a planet is v = sqrt(-G * M/r), but I need to decompose this into an x velocity an a y velocity and I'm having issues with the Trig because I remember you have to draw the trig triangles properly or else the calculations don't come out properly. I need to break down the tangential velocity of each planet with respect to the sun into velocities in the x and y planes

My initial thought was to have it be something like

V_x = v_t * sin(angle between sun and planet)
V_y = v_t * cos(angle between sun and planet)

But it seems too simple and I don't know if that's correct.

There's a similar problem going on with calculating the acceleration of the planet. Once again, I need to break the acceleration cause by the gravitational force between the sun and the planet into x and y components.

F = ma set to the gravitational force, etc etc => a(towards the sun) = G * m_s / R

So to break it up I was going to do something similar to the above, but I can't get the trig triangles to look right.

If this is in the wrong section/is considered a HW problem, feel free to move it, but it's just a conceptual stumbling block I"m having because it's been a while since I've taken Physics and I need to get these right to try and construct a proper model.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cfem! :smile:
Cfem said:
I remember that the tangential velocity …

uhh? :confused: what other sort of velocity is there? :wink:
My initial thought was to have it be something like

V_x = v_t * sin(angle between sun and planet)
V_y = v_t * cos(angle between sun and planet)

If the orbit is circular, yes, v is constant, and its components are vcos and vsin of the angle. :smile:

If you want just a quick dirty answer look up "kepler's law" it will give you the solution.

However be aware the result is an approximation (Newtonian physics breaks down in space) you planet will not precess. You will need to invoke general relativity to solve that problem if you want correct modelling.

Wikipedia has a full explanation "Two-body_problem_in_general_relativity"

Related to Gravitational force and tangential velocity of planets

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How does gravitational force affect the tangential velocity of planets?

Gravitational force affects the tangential velocity of planets by keeping them in a stable orbit around their respective stars. The stronger the gravitational force, the faster the planet will travel in its orbit.

3. What is tangential velocity?

Tangential velocity is the speed at which an object is moving along a circular path. In the context of planets, it refers to the speed at which they are moving in their orbit around a star.

4. What factors affect the strength of gravitational force?

The strength of gravitational force is affected by the masses of the two objects, as well as the distance between them. The larger the masses and the closer the distance between them, the stronger the gravitational force will be.

5. How is the tangential velocity of a planet calculated?

The tangential velocity of a planet can be calculated using the formula: v = √(G*M/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the star, and r is the distance between the planet and the star. This formula is also known as Kepler's Third Law of Planetary Motion.