Gravitational field strength unit

In summary, the numerical value for gravitational field strength, which is expressed in N/kg, is equivalent to the numerical value for acceleration, which is expressed in m/s^2. However, these two quantities represent different concepts and have different units, even though they have the same numerical value.
xdeanna
What quantity has the same numerical value as the gravitational field strength, but is expressed in a different unit?

g= 9.8 N/kg

i can't think of anything else that's 9.8 besides g

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't g also an acceleration?

rightt :D thanks

Yes g is also an acceleration but that would be the same units. g=9.8N/kg

N/kg=(kgm/s^2)/kg= m/s^2 which is the same units as acceleration.

I don't really get what purpose this question might be trying to fulfill...

i thought the same thing too but the acceleration was right..the teacher told me for gravitational field strength you leave the units as N/kg

The gravitational field strength and acceleration represent different quantities: the first is how many Newtons gravity applies on an object, the second is how fast the object gains speed. The numerical value for both is the same, and that's no coincidence, but that doesn't mean there's no conceptual difference between the 2 values.

Related to Gravitational field strength unit

1. What is the unit of measurement for gravitational field strength?

The unit of measurement for gravitational field strength is Newtons per kilogram (N/kg).

2. How is gravitational field strength calculated?

Gravitational field strength is calculated by dividing the force of gravity acting on an object by its mass.

3. What is the difference between gravitational field strength and gravitational force?

Gravitational field strength is a measure of the force per unit mass at a specific point in space, while gravitational force is the actual force of attraction between two objects.

4. Can gravitational field strength be negative?

Yes, gravitational field strength can be negative, indicating a direction opposite to the direction of gravity. This is often seen in situations where two objects are moving away from each other due to their own gravitational pull.

5. How does the value of gravitational field strength vary on Earth?

The value of gravitational field strength on Earth varies slightly depending on location and altitude. It is generally around 9.8 N/kg at sea level, but can range from 9.78 to 9.83 N/kg at different locations on Earth.