Gravitational field caused by a charged particle

In summary, the source of gravitational field is the stress-energy tensor. To find the spacetime metric caused by a stationary charged particle, you can look up the Reissner-Nordström metric. The stress-energy tensor for a stationary charged particle would have a non-null solution. However, under the relativity paradigm, it is not meaningful to say if a particle is truly "stationary" or in motion. The Reissner-Nordström metric is a static electrovacuum solution for a charged body, with "static" having a technical meaning.
ngkamsengpeter
I am new to General Relativity, so this question might sound silly. I know that the source of gravitational field is the stress-energy tensor. What I wonder is how do I find the spacetime metric, gmn caused by a stationary charged particle? What is the stress-energy tensor of a stationary charged particle? Is it just the T00 component exist?

Besides that, consider two particles in which the gravitational field caused by each particle will affect each other, how do I analyzed the motion of these two particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please define "stationary" particle.

Dickfore said:
Please define "stationary" particle.
Sorry if it confusing. What I mean is a static, not moving particle.

ngkamsengpeter said:
Sorry if it confusing. What I mean is a static, not moving particle.

If you took a course in Relativity, the first thing you should have learned is that motion is relative. So, define what you mean by non-moving particle.

You seem to be looking for some electrovacuum solution, look up "Reissner–Nordström metric" in wikipedia, that is a non null solution for a charged mass.

What I mention above is not exactly the same as a metric for a static particle, as Dickfore said there is no meaningful way of saying that an isolated particle is in motion (with constant velocity) or not under the relativity paradigm, so the metric I mentioned is rather a static electrovacuum solution for a charged body, and here "static" has a different, more technical meaning than "static" as in "not moving".

Hello ngkamsengpeter! Perhaps you may be provided some insight on the thread labelled Charge Particles and Gravity:smile:

I am new to general relativity too and I had asked a similar question.:smile:

Related to Gravitational field caused by a charged particle

1. How does a charged particle create a gravitational field?

A charged particle creates a gravitational field through its mass. As mass and energy are equivalent, the electric field generated by the particle's charge also contributes to the overall gravitational field.

2. Does the strength of the gravitational field caused by a charged particle depend on the charge of the particle?

Yes, the strength of the gravitational field is directly proportional to the charge of the particle. The greater the charge, the stronger the field will be.

3. Can the gravitational field caused by a charged particle be shielded or blocked?

No, the gravitational field caused by a charged particle cannot be shielded or blocked. Unlike electric fields, gravitational fields are always attractive and cannot be canceled out by an opposite field.

4. How does the distance from a charged particle affect the strength of the gravitational field?

The strength of the gravitational field caused by a charged particle decreases as distance increases. This relationship follows an inverse-square law, meaning that the strength of the field decreases by the square of the distance from the particle.

5. Can a charged particle have both an electric and a gravitational field?

Yes, a charged particle can have both an electric and a gravitational field. The two fields are independent of each other and can coexist in the same space. However, the strengths of these fields will vary depending on the charge and mass of the particle.