Gravitational elongation formula conversion from SI

In summary, the speaker is struggling to convert a formula from metric units to English units. They have provided some English units from their tapes manufacturer, but they are unsure of the correct conversion. They have been advised to keep track of the units as algebraic unknowns and to substitute the appropriate constant for any inconsistent units.
Scott S
I have attached a pic which really explains the formula and context of the problem.

I'm guessing a gravitational effect passes for physics...

I am trying to convert the formula in (b) below into feet.

If I could reproduce the answer with English units, I could move on and apply the formula to other situations, but the multiplicity of English units is really confusing me.
The English units I have are;
g = 32.17405
x = 3277.972
Next two from my tapes manufacturer,
A = 0.003" (but I think it should be 0.034 feet)
E = 29,700 KSI
M = 0 but could be 20 lbs.
Next one again from the manufacturer,
m = 0.0102 lbs/ft.
l = 3280.84
P(sub)0 = ? but my hundred foot tape would be 23 lbs.

Attachments

• gravity and a survey tape.jpg
    gravity and a survey tape.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,840
Physics news on Phys.org
A is the cross-sectional area. 0.003 sq in seems reasonable.
The formula does not need to be converted to use it in different units.
All you have to do is keep track of the units as though they were algebraic unknowns. If you've been completely consistent in choice of units they'll all cancel out. Otherwise you'll have terms like metres/foot remaining, and then you just substitute the appropriate constant (0.3 in this example).

Related to Gravitational elongation formula conversion from SI

1. What is the gravitational elongation formula and how is it used?

The gravitational elongation formula is used to calculate the elongation or stretching of an object under the influence of gravity. It is expressed as: ΔL = (F * L * ΔT)/(A * E), where ΔL is the change in length, F is the force of gravity, L is the original length, ΔT is the change in temperature, A is the cross-sectional area, and E is the Young's modulus of the material. This formula is important in engineering and construction to determine the potential deformation of structures under the force of gravity.

2. What are the units for the gravitational elongation formula?

The units for the gravitational elongation formula are dependent on the units used for each variable. Typically, force is measured in Newtons (N), length in meters (m), temperature in Kelvin (K), and area and Young's modulus in square meters (m^2) and Pascals (Pa) respectively. The resulting unit for ΔL will be in meters (m).

3. Is the gravitational elongation formula only applicable to objects under the influence of Earth's gravity?

No, the gravitational elongation formula can be used for any object under the influence of any gravitational force. It is a universal formula that can be applied to any location or planet where gravity is present.

4. How can the gravitational elongation formula be converted from SI units to other unit systems?

The conversion of the gravitational elongation formula from SI units to other unit systems requires the conversion of each variable to its respective unit in the desired system. For example, if converting to the imperial system, force should be measured in pounds (lbs), length in inches (in), area in square inches (in^2), and Young's modulus in pounds per square inch (psi). The resulting unit for ΔL will be in inches (in).

5. What are the limitations of the gravitational elongation formula?

The gravitational elongation formula is based on a linear relationship between force and elongation, which may not accurately represent all materials. It also assumes that the force of gravity is constant and that the material is homogeneous and isotropic. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors such as external forces or structural constraints, which may affect the elongation of an object. Therefore, it is important to use this formula with caution and consider its limitations in specific applications.