Gravitation equations and expressions - gravitational field strength

In summary, for the first question, the algebraic expression for g at a distance r from the centre of the planet is g = G*M/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant and M is the mass of the planet. For the second question, the formula for the gravitational field strength g at the surface of the planet is g = G*M/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant and M is the mass of the planet.
dory

Homework Statement

i have 2 questions on my holiday homework that I am not 100% sure on they are:

Homework Equations

1) write down an algebraic expression for g at a distance r from the centre of the planet. The planet can be treated as a point mass of magnitude M as its centre

AND

2) write down a formula for the gravitational field stength g at the surface of the planet of mass M

The Attempt at a Solution

is one of them g=Gm/r^2
i am so confused

Physics news on Phys.org
is one of them g=Gm/r^2
If you replace m with M, yes.

Related to Gravitation equations and expressions - gravitational field strength

1. What is the equation for gravitational force between two objects?

The equation for gravitational force between two objects is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How is gravitational force related to the distance between two objects?

The force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity between them decreases.

3. What is gravitational field strength?

Gravitational field strength is a measure of the force experienced by a unit mass at a given point in a gravitational field. It is represented by the symbol g and is measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How is gravitational field strength calculated?

Gravitational field strength is calculated by dividing the force of gravity (F) by the mass of the object (m) at that particular point in the field. In equation form, it is written as g = F/m.

5. How does the mass of an object affect gravitational field strength?

The mass of an object does not affect gravitational field strength. The gravitational field strength at a given point is only affected by the mass of the object creating the field and the distance from that object.