Grav Potential Energy question doesn't make sense

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with calculating the mass of a roller coaster car using the equation for gravitational potential energy. The problem arises due to the coordinate system chosen, resulting in a zero over zero case which is indeterminate. The mass of the car is irrelevant for conservation of energy and therefore cancels out in the equation. It is suggested to redefine the zero point to avoid this issue.
TrpnBils
I'm missing something here...

Using the equation for calculating GPE, I'm getting an odd result in an example involving a roller coaster. Assuming at the top of the hill we have 100% PE and 0% KE and the reverse to be true at the bottom, we should have 0 joules of gravitational potential energy at the bottom of the hill, right?

If that's the case, and I'm trying to figure out the mass of the car, I can run it through the formula at various heights and get the same mass the whole way from the top to the bottom, except for where I have 0 Joules GPE. At that point it seems to turn to a mass of 0 kilograms.

What am I doing wrong here, because I know that's not right! It seems that even if the energy was all dispersed elsewhere (friction, etc) that there should still be a way to get the actual mass of the car with that equation...

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to provide more details. If you're saying that [itex]PE = mgh[/itex] should always give you the mass of the car, then yes it would except at the bottom of the roller coaster. The reason is not because the mass of the car has become 0 or something silly like that, it's the fact that your height has become 0.

This is about the best I can do in MS Paint, but it should get the point across.

My point is, you should be able to get the same mass for all points involved since mass is irrelevant for conservation of energy (it cancels out with the ΔKE = ΔPE equation). You end up with an illogical answer at the last point there (E) because you've got zeroes in both the denominator and numerator (and would get the same thing in point A using the KE = 1/2 * m * v^2 equation).

Can mass be verified at that point if it's not given initially?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 440
TrpnBils said:
This is about the best I can do in MS Paint, but it should get the point across.

My point is, you should be able to get the same mass for all points involved since mass is irrelevant for conservation of energy (it cancels out with the ΔKE = ΔPE equation). You end up with an illogical answer at the last point there (E) because you've got zeroes in both the denominator and numerator (and would get the same thing in point A using the KE = 1/2 * m * v^2 equation).

Can mass be verified at that point if it's not given initially?

You simply picked lousy coordinates for what you want to do. Redefine your zero point to be such that the height at the minimum is nonzero, say 1m.

In your equation you have zero over zero case, and that is indeterminate, so you cannot use that argument here.

For example:

0/0=x --> x*0=0

There is infinite solutions for x.

Nabeshin said:
You simply picked lousy coordinates for what you want to do. Redefine your zero point to be such that the height at the minimum is nonzero, say 1m.

But any object, at it's lowest point on a path, still has a mass, correct?

Likewise, look at the kinetic energy equation of k=1/2m*v2... if you have an object sitting still, it has no kinetic energy, but it still has a mass.

Where is your problem with the Mass?
It appears on both sides of the ΔPE=-ΔKE equation so it cancels out.

Related to Grav Potential Energy question doesn't make sense

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is stored in an object when it is lifted or raised against the force of gravity.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of an object is calculated as the product of its mass, the acceleration due to gravity, and its height above the ground. The formula is PE = mgh, where PE represents potential energy, m represents mass, g represents gravitational acceleration, and h represents height.

3. Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative. This typically occurs when an object is located below the reference level, such as when an object is placed in a hole or a well. In these cases, the potential energy is negative because the object has less potential to do work due to its lower position.

4. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are both forms of mechanical energy. As an object falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. At the point of impact, all of the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. This relationship is described by the law of conservation of energy.

5. How does gravitational potential energy affect an object's motion?

The amount of gravitational potential energy an object has affects its potential to do work and its ability to move. An object with higher potential energy will have a greater force of attraction towards the Earth, leading to a faster acceleration and a greater speed as it falls. On the other hand, an object with lower potential energy will have a slower acceleration and a lower speed as it falls.