Graphing the image of a complex number

In summary, the task is to sketch y=2 under the image w=z^(2) and the solution involves finding a general point on the line y=1 as t+i and squaring it to get x=t^2-1 and y=2t. From there, the equations for x and y are solved for t and substituted into the original equations to get an equation for x and y. The resulting graph is a parabola opening to the right in the x direction.
torquerotates

Homework Statement

sketch y=2 under the image w=z^(2)

Homework Equations

z=x+iy

The Attempt at a Solution

z=x+(1)i=x+i {y=1 and x can be anything}
w=z^(2)=(x+i)^(2)=x^2+2xi-1

after regrouping, w=(x^2-1)+(2x)i and then I consider x^2-1 to be the real part and 2x to be the imaginary part. This is as far as I can get because I have no clue how to graph this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just confused because there are a couple of different meanings of x around. Try it this way (if you mean y=1 and not y=2 as you posted). A general point on the line y=1 is given (as you said) by t+i where t is any number. Squaring gives x=t^2-1 and y=2t splitting real and imaginary parts. Solve the y equation for t and substitute into the x equation to get an equation involving only x and y.

Ok so I just put x=t^2-1 and y=2t. From this I can conclude that t=y/2 and that x=(y^4)/4-1. This is just a parabola opening to the right facing in the x direction. Is this correct?

Sounds correct to me. You did mean x=y^2/4-1, right?

lol yeah.

Related to Graphing the image of a complex number

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real and an imaginary part. It can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How do you graph a complex number?

To graph a complex number, you need to plot the real part on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis. The resulting point on the graph represents the complex number in the form of (a,b), where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part.

3. What is the image of a complex number?

The image of a complex number is the point on the graph that represents the complex number. It is obtained by plotting the real and imaginary parts on the graph as mentioned in the previous question.

4. How do you find the image of a complex number using the conjugate?

The image of a complex number can be found by multiplying the complex number by its conjugate. The conjugate of a complex number a + bi is a - bi. When multiplied, the imaginary parts cancel out, leaving only the real part as the image.

5. Can a complex number have a negative image?

Yes, a complex number can have a negative image. This means that the resulting point on the graph will be in a different quadrant than the original complex number. For example, if the original complex number is (2,3), its image could be (-2,-3) which is in the third quadrant.