Graphing a digit oscillating signal

In summary, graphing a digital oscillating signal involves plotting time on the horizontal axis and voltage on the vertical axis. The duty cycle, which is the ratio of the pulse width over the total period, determines the shape of the waveform. The period T is the time from one rising or falling edge to the next, and the frequency is the inverse of the period. To graph, start at the origin and plot the rising and falling edges based on the given voltage and time values. Repeat for multiple cycles if desired.
Mr. Hiyasaki
How would I go about graphing a digtal oscillating signal? I don't quite understand what a pulse width is, or rather how to find it given only the oscillation in Hz and a duty cycle. I understand that the duty cycle is the ratio of the pulse width over the total period, but i don't understand what the pulse width or the period is for a digital signal.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mr. Hiyasaki said:
How would I go about graphing a digtal oscillating signal? I don't quite understand what a pulse width is, or rather how to find it given only the oscillation in Hz and a duty cycle. I understand that the duty cycle is the ratio of the pulse width over the total period, but i don't understand what the pulse width or the period is for a digital signal.
On your graph, put time on the horizontal axis, and voltage on the vertical axis. If your digital signal is based on 3.3V logic, the top of the vertical axis will be about 4V. If it is 5V logic, use 5V as the top of the vertical axis. Then graph your digital signal versus time.
You end up with a rectangular waveform, or a square wave if the duty cycle is 50%. If the duty cycle is less than 50%, then the high time is less than the low time in the rectangular waveform. The period T is the time from one rising edge to the next rising edge, or from falling edge to next falling edge. The frequency is f = 1/T.
So let's say you are asked to graph a digital 3.3V signal with a period of 1ms and a duty cycle of 25%. You start at the origin of your graph with a rising edge from 0V to 3.3V, draw to the right from (0,3.3V) to (250us,3.3V), draw a falling edge to (250us,0V), and then draw the low part of the signal to (1ms,0V). Then you can repeat if you want to draw more than one cycle.
Makes sense?

To graph a digital oscillating signal, you will need to plot the amplitude (vertical axis) against time (horizontal axis). The oscillating signal will appear as a series of square waves, with the amplitude changing at regular intervals.

The pulse width refers to the duration of the "on" or high part of the square wave, while the period refers to the total duration of one complete cycle (both the "on" and "off" parts). The duty cycle is the ratio of the pulse width to the period, expressed as a percentage.

To find the pulse width, you will need to know the frequency of the oscillation in Hz, which represents the number of cycles per second. You can then calculate the period by taking the inverse of the frequency (1/frequency). Once you have the period, you can determine the pulse width by multiplying it by the duty cycle percentage.

For example, if you have a digital signal with a frequency of 10 Hz and a duty cycle of 50%, the period would be 0.1 seconds (1/10) and the pulse width would be 0.05 seconds (0.1 x 50%).

To plot the signal, you can use a graphing tool or software and input the time intervals and corresponding amplitude values. This will give you a visual representation of the digital oscillating signal.

Related to Graphing a digit oscillating signal

1. What is a digit oscillating signal?

A digit oscillating signal is a type of signal that consists of a series of digits that alternate between two values, typically 0 and 1. This type of signal is commonly used in digital circuits and communication systems.

2. How is a digit oscillating signal graphed?

A digit oscillating signal is typically graphed using a line graph, where the x-axis represents time and the y-axis represents the values of the signal. The line on the graph will alternate between two points, representing the two values of the signal.

3. What are the applications of graphing a digit oscillating signal?

Graphing a digit oscillating signal is useful in various applications, such as digital communication, signal processing, and digital circuit design. It can also be used to analyze and troubleshoot digital systems.

4. How does the frequency of a digit oscillating signal affect its graph?

The frequency of a digit oscillating signal refers to how often the signal alternates between its two values. A higher frequency will result in a graph with more closely spaced lines, while a lower frequency will have more widely spaced lines.

5. What are some common variations of digit oscillating signals?

Some common variations of digit oscillating signals include square waves, pulse waves, and sawtooth waves. These variations have different patterns of alternating values and can be graphed in a similar manner to a standard digit oscillating signal.