Graphical representation of complex numbers

In summary: This means that multiplying a complex number by exp(iθ) is the same as rotating it by an angle θ.In summary, multiplying a complex number by exp(iδ) is a rotation by the angle δ. This is because exp(iδ) can be written as cos δ + i sin δ, which represents a rotation in the complex plane. Therefore, the graphical representation of z2 is a rotated version of the graphical representation of z1.
g117
Hi there,

eI have two numbers:

z1 = 2 + i
z2 = exp(iδ) * z1

i are complex numbers and δ is a real number. I need to answer a question - what does the graphical representation of z2 have in relation to the graphical representation of z1.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiplying by exp(ia) is a rotation by the angle a.

This looks like a homework question. We have a special forum for that here, so in future post such questions there, and also try to tell us a little about how you've attempted to solve it, so that the help you receive is more meaningful.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot.

I'm sorry for posting in wrong section. I'm totally new on this forum. And yes, it is a homework question. Of course, I tried to solve it myself, but the only thing I know is, that:

e^(iδ) = cos δ + i sin δ

And I would also like to know, what's the reason - why is it a rotation.

If you rotate a vector (x, y) by an angle θ, the components x' and y' of the rotated vector are

x' = xcosθ - ysinθ
y' = xsinθ + ycosθ

Now a complex number z = x + iy is like a vector with components x and y. Multiply x + iy with exp(iθ) = cosθ + isinθ, and you will get x' + iy' with x' and y' as above.

Related to Graphical representation of complex numbers

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of both a real part and an imaginary part. It is represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i representing the square root of -1.

2. How are complex numbers graphically represented?

Complex numbers are represented on a 2-dimensional plane known as the complex plane. The real part of the complex number is plotted along the x-axis and the imaginary part is plotted along the y-axis.

3. What is the purpose of representing complex numbers graphically?

Graphical representation of complex numbers allows us to visualize and manipulate them more easily. It also helps in understanding the relationships between different complex numbers and their operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

4. How do you plot a complex number on the complex plane?

To plot a complex number on the complex plane, first identify the real part and the imaginary part of the number. Then, plot the real part along the x-axis and the imaginary part along the y-axis. The point where these two axes intersect represents the complex number.

5. What are the different forms of graphical representation of complex numbers?

The two main forms of graphical representation of complex numbers are the rectangular form (a + bi) and the polar form (r(cos θ + i sin θ)). Other forms include the exponential form (re^iθ) and the vector form (r, θ).