Graphical method to calculate power

In summary, the conversation discusses a more accurate method for calculating power used when running up a flight of stairs. The method involves measuring the height of the stairs, recording weight, and timing the run from bottom to top. The equation used is P = mgh/t. The tutor suggests using independent and dependent variables, y=mx + c, with time on the x-axis and gravitational potential energy on the y-axis. The steady gradient represents power. Additional advice is given to do multiple runs and use a least squares fit to compute power.
Nicaragua

Homework Statement

I have been asked to show a graphical, more accurate method to calculate power used when running up a flight of stairs. The method I have used previously is measuring the height of the stairs, recording my weight in Newtons, timing how long it takes to run from the bottom to the top, then using the power equation.

Homework Equations

When asked to come up with a more accurate, graphical method, my tutor gave me some hints: independent and dependent variable, y=mx + c. I have thought very hard but can't seem to come up with an answer. Power = Force x Displacement / time : or in this case, P = mgh/ t.

The Attempt at a Solution

As the equation used is effectively mgh/t, time would be on the x axis, and Gravitational Potential Energy on the y axis. The steady gradient would represent Power as you would divide mgh by time.

This is my best attempt, but it still leaves some points open. Why is this more accurate? I do not know.

If anyone who understands this more than I do could help me out a little, I'd be very thankful to learn.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could do several runs (at last 20 or so) with different heights. Then you could graph h on the x-axis and t on the y axis. You could do a least squares fit of the data and get the fit line t = mh + c. m is the slope, not your mass.

Then, using only the fit line, you compute power at several data pairs (hi,ti) and take the average using P = Wh/t where W is your weight.

Be sure to get enough rest between runs or the data will be meaningless.

Related to Graphical method to calculate power

What is a graphical method to calculate power?

A graphical method to calculate power is a visual approach used to determine the statistical power of a hypothesis test. It involves plotting the probability of correctly rejecting the null hypothesis against the effect size or sample size.

How does the graphical method differ from other methods of calculating power?

The graphical method differs from other methods of calculating power, such as analytical and simulation methods, in that it provides a visual representation of the relationship between power and the relevant variables. This can make it easier to understand and interpret the results.

What are the advantages of using a graphical method to calculate power?

The advantages of using a graphical method to calculate power include its visual nature, which can aid in understanding and interpretation of the results. It is also relatively simple to use and does not require extensive statistical knowledge.

What are the limitations of a graphical method to calculate power?

One limitation of the graphical method to calculate power is that it may not be as accurate as other methods, especially when the relationship between power and the relevant variables is not linear. It also may not be suitable for complex hypothesis tests or when the sample size is very small.

How can the results of a graphical method be used in practical applications?

The results of a graphical method can be used to determine the minimum sample size needed to achieve a desired level of power for a hypothesis test. This can be helpful in designing experiments or studies, as well as in interpreting the significance of results.