Graphene Substrate: Can it Maintain 2D Form?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether graphene can maintain its 2-dimensional form without support from substrates. The speaker believes that it can, citing experiments with MEMS resonators as evidence. The large font used by one speaker is explained and apologies are given for any potential language barriers. The expert explains that theories prior to the discovery of graphene suggested that a true 2D material would be unstable and buckle, but graphene has proven otherwise.
crijn dR
I have looked on the internet but not found a clear anwser.
can graphene sutstane its 2-dimensional form witout anny help froms substrades?

tanks for helping ^^

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I believe so.
There are plenty of experiments with e.g. MEMS resonators based on graphene, and then the graphene is only supported at the edges.

Also, why the large font?

Likes crijn dR
sorry for the large front i chaged it. and tanks for the fast response.

I don't really know what MEMS resonators is but doesn't the suporting means that it is still helping grapheen, so without MEMS resonators would it still be abele to sutstain its 2 dimensional form?

btw sorry if my english is bad

Yes, my understanding is that graphene should -in principle- be able to stay flat and should not buckle.

Before the discovery of graphene there were that theories that stated that a true 2D material would be impossible, it would be unstable and would buckle. However, after the discovery it was found that these theories were wrong or perhaps not applicable to graphene (can't remember which).
I attended a talk where this was discussed a few years ago, but unfortunately I can't remember the details :frown:

Related to Graphene Substrate: Can it Maintain 2D Form?

What is graphene substrate?

Graphene substrate is a thin layer of graphene that is used as a base or support for other materials in scientific research and industrial applications.

What is the 2D form of graphene substrate?

The 2D form of graphene substrate refers to its flat, two-dimensional structure. Graphene itself is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice, giving it its unique properties.

Can graphene substrate maintain its 2D form?

Yes, graphene substrate is known for its strong and stable 2D form. It has a high mechanical strength and can maintain its flat structure even at the atomic level, making it an ideal material for various applications.

What factors can affect the 2D form of graphene substrate?

The 2D form of graphene substrate can be affected by various factors such as temperature changes, mechanical stress, and interactions with other materials. It is important to carefully control these factors to maintain the stability of the 2D form.

What are the potential applications of graphene substrate in its 2D form?

The unique properties of graphene substrate in its 2D form make it suitable for a wide range of applications, including electronics, energy storage, water filtration, and biomedical devices. Its high surface area and mechanical strength also make it a promising material for future technologies.