Graph plotting, resonant frequency vs tension in rubber cord.

In summary, the conversation is about trying to plot a graph to show the relationship between resonant frequency and tension in a length of rubber cord using standing waves. The equation being used may not work for rubber cord and the graph should have the x-axis as frequency and the y-axis as tension.
daaaannn.
1. okay, so I'm still struggling on trying to plot a graph for the relationship between the resonant frequency and the tension in a length of rubber cord, using standing waves. I've got that as the tension increases so does the frequency, and as length increases the frequency decreases. and because i am using rubber cord instead of string, I'm thinking that the equation i am using may not work..

2. the equation i have is f= 1/2L * sqrt T/µ
and when i calculate 1/2L * sqrt T/µ , i get a constant answer.. which is really small.

3. i do not have a clue what my graph is supposed to look like, and what to put on my y-axis! any help would be muchly appreciated! thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The graph should show the relationship between tension and frequency. The x-axis should be frequency, and the y-axis should be tension. You can plot the data points that you get from calculating the equation (f = 1/2L * sqrt T/µ) for different tensions and lengths. This will give you a line graph that shows how the frequency changes as the tension changes.

Related to Graph plotting, resonant frequency vs tension in rubber cord.

1. What is the purpose of plotting a graph for resonant frequency vs tension in a rubber cord?

The purpose of plotting a graph for resonant frequency vs tension in a rubber cord is to visualize the relationship between these two variables. This allows us to understand how the resonant frequency of a rubber cord changes as the tension is increased or decreased.

2. How is the resonant frequency of a rubber cord affected by changes in tension?

The resonant frequency of a rubber cord is directly proportional to the tension applied to it. This means that as the tension increases, the resonant frequency also increases, and vice versa. This relationship can be observed by plotting a graph of resonant frequency vs tension.

3. What is the significance of the resonant frequency of a rubber cord?

The resonant frequency of a rubber cord is an important characteristic that determines its performance in certain applications. It is the frequency at which the rubber cord vibrates with the greatest amplitude, and this can be useful in areas such as sound and vibration isolation.

4. How does the material of the rubber cord affect its resonant frequency?

The material of the rubber cord can greatly impact its resonant frequency. Different materials have different stiffness and elasticity, which can affect how the cord vibrates and its resonant frequency. Therefore, it is important to consider the material when studying the relationship between resonant frequency and tension.

5. Can the resonant frequency of a rubber cord be altered by changing its length?

Yes, the resonant frequency of a rubber cord can also be affected by changing its length. The longer the cord, the lower the resonant frequency, and vice versa. This is because the length of the cord affects the wavelength of the vibrations, which in turn affects the resonant frequency.