GPE and KE of two unequal masses over pulley

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy in a system of two unequal masses connected by a light cord. It was determined that the change in gravitational potential energy for the system is negative, and the change in kinetic energy is positive. The conversation also touched on the topic of work done by gravity and tension in a circular motion, with the conclusion that the work done by tension is zero while there is a component of displacement along the force of gravity.
ethex

Homework Statement

Two unequal masses are connected by a light cord passing over a smooth pulley. State the gravitational potential energy [itex]\Delta[/itex]U(> or < or = 0) and the kinetic energy [itex]\Delta[/itex]K(> or < or = 0) of the system after the masses are released from rest?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Both masses were originally at the same level. After released, both went in an opposite direction away from the equilibrium level. Thus, [itex]\Delta[/itex]U=0?

Both gained speed, thus [itex]\Delta[/itex]K>0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that potential evergy is a scalar and hence has not direction.

Hi grzz, So there is a difference in height, thus there is a change in GPE, How do i determine if change in GPE is >0 or <0?

To use grav p e = mgh one needs a zero reference level. To make things simple you can choose the lowest position reached as this level. A diagram always helps.

I am confused. So which is the initial height and final since there are two masses?

You have to assume the initial (equal) height, say h. Continue from there.

For heavier mass, [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = mg(0-h) = -mgh
For lighter mass, [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = mg (2h- h) = mgh

Thus for the whole system = 0?

What height are you taking as the reference for GPE = 0?

Lowest point reached as you have suggested.

Your only mistake is that the masses are not equal. Hence use m and M.

Any way. The bigger one goes down,hence U decreased and the other goes ...

That's right! I missed out the difference in masses.

For heavier mass, change in U = -Mgh
For lighter mass, change in U = mgh

Since M>m, total change in U < 0.

As for KE, as long as there is a movement, does it mean KE is affected?

So the ans to this question is change in u< 0 , change in K>0, right?

And is there any situation change in KE<0?

I am quite confused over all these.

Thank you so much grzz.

initial KE = 0 since they were at rest.
Hence KE increased for both.

I got it, thank you.

Would you mind helping me out another question relating to work energy?

A 3 kg ball swings rapidly in a complete vertical circle of radius 2 m by a light string. The ball moves so fast that the string is always taut. As the ball swings from its lowest point to its highest point,

the work done on it by gravity is ___ and the work done on it by the tension in the string is ___.

The first blank i found out to be -188J. How do it work on the second part?

Can you show the working for -188J?

Ok.

Change in GPE = mgh = 3 x 4 x 9.8 = 188J
Since work done is by the gravity on the system, therefore -188J.

-118j

Now can you state the definition of work?

The CORRECT defn of work will give you the answer for the work by the tension.

Work done is the product of force that acts on the object with the displacement along the action of force.

The top tension is pointing down while tension at bottom is pointing up with larger magnitude. So how do i cal the work done by the tension base on definition?

ethex said:
Work done is the product of force that acts on the object with the displacement along the action of force.
Correct defn. Note the phrase 'dislplacement along the force (i.e. along the tension).
Now look at the displacement all along the circle. Is the displacement ever along the tension?

Since the motion is in a circular path and the tension is always pointing towards the centre, thus work done by the tension is zero?

But if that make sense, then wouldn't the first part be zero as well? There is no displacement along the gravity?

Work by tension is 0. CORRECT!
BUT when moving along the circle, the displacement WILL have a component parallel to gavity i.e. upwards or downwards except at two particular points.

Oh i Got it! Thank you grzz and have a great day ahead!

You are welcome. Isn't Physics interesting!

Related to GPE and KE of two unequal masses over pulley

1. What is GPE and KE in the context of two unequal masses over a pulley?

GPE stands for gravitational potential energy and refers to the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. KE stands for kinetic energy and refers to the energy an object has due to its motion. In the context of two unequal masses over a pulley, GPE and KE refer to the potential and kinetic energy of the two masses as they move in response to gravity.

2. How is GPE calculated in this scenario?

GPE is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the height of the object above the ground. In the case of two unequal masses over a pulley, the GPE of each mass would be calculated separately and then compared.

3. What factors affect the GPE and KE of the two masses in this scenario?

The GPE and KE of the two masses are affected by the mass of each object, the height of the objects above the ground, and the speed at which the objects are moving. Additionally, the direction and magnitude of the gravitational force between the two masses also play a role in determining their GPE and KE.

4. How are GPE and KE related in this scenario?

In this scenario, GPE and KE are indirectly related. As one mass gains GPE by moving higher above the ground, it simultaneously loses KE by slowing down. The opposite is true for the other mass as it moves closer to the ground, gaining KE and losing GPE.

5. Can the GPE and KE of the two masses be equal at any point during their motion?

It is possible for the GPE and KE of the two masses to be equal at a certain point during their motion, but this would only occur if the masses were moving at the same speed and were at the same height above the ground. This situation would be rare and would only last for a brief moment before the masses continued to move and their energies changed again.