Good webhosting company suggestions ?

In summary, the conversation was about finding a webhosting company that is affordable and offers good service. The options mentioned were 1on1, awardspace.com, Brinkster, and Lycos (which may still offer free accounts). Awardspace.com was recommended for its low prices and features. Brinkster was also mentioned as a good option for North American users, with both free and paid packages available. The speaker also mentioned having a positive experience with Brinkster for the past four years.
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

I'm looking for a not-to-expensive webhosting company for relatively small sites. I'm currently with Lycos, but they are extremely lousy and expensive for the bad service you get. I heard 1on1 isn't too bad, but what are the experiences and are there other suggestions ?

thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I used awardspace.com in the past. Cheap prices and a lot of features, space, and bandwidth. Great for a hobbyist.

Doesn't Lycos still offer free accounts?
If you are in North America, you could try Brinkster. They have free accounts with no ads, and no hassles. Three (free) packages to choose from, personal to developer. The last one has access to ASP.NET and MS Access. Limited daily traffic.
If you want, paids packages start at 4$ a month, with a choice of Linux or Windows technologies. I have a paid account with them for the past four years. Excellent e-mail, chat and phone support, but rarely needed. Excellent up-time.
Hope I don't get deleted by the moderators, but you asked for the info!

Related to Good webhosting company suggestions ?

What factors should I consider when choosing a webhosting company?

When choosing a webhosting company, you should consider factors such as price, reliability, customer support, features and scalability. Price is important as you want to find a plan that fits your budget. Reliability refers to the uptime guarantee of the company and their ability to handle high levels of traffic. Good customer support is crucial for any technical issues that may arise. Features such as storage, bandwidth, and website builder tools should also be considered. Lastly, scalability is important if you foresee your website growing in the future.

What is the difference between shared and dedicated hosting?

Shared hosting means that your website will be hosted on a server with other websites, whereas dedicated hosting means that you will have your own server. Shared hosting is more affordable and suitable for small to medium sized websites, while dedicated hosting is more expensive but offers better performance and control for larger websites with high traffic.

What is the importance of server location?

The server location is important as it affects the speed and performance of your website. If your target audience is located in a specific region, it is best to choose a server in that location to reduce page loading times. It also helps with search engine optimization (SEO) as search engines tend to favor websites with servers located in the same region as their users.

What security measures should a good webhosting company have?

A good webhosting company should have strong security measures in place to protect your website and data. This includes regular backups, firewalls, secure data centers, and SSL encryption. They should also offer additional security features such as DDoS protection and malware scanning.

What are some reliable webhosting companies?

Some reliable webhosting companies include Bluehost, HostGator, SiteGround, InMotion Hosting, and A2 Hosting. These companies have a good reputation for uptime, customer support, and features. It is important to research and read reviews to find the best fit for your specific needs and budget.