Good text or online source on Radiometry?

In summary, the conversation was about a person seeking a comprehensive resource for learning radiometry at an undergraduate level. They specifically mentioned wanting drill type problems to understand quantities such as intensity, irradiance, exitance, and radiance, as well as their spectral counterparts. They also requested information on solid angle vs. projected solid angle and when to use each. The conversation ended with the person receiving recommendations for two affordable books on radiometry, including the Handbook of Optics and the book Absolute Radiometry.
mishima
I'm looking for a good text or online source that can take me through radiometry at an undergraduate level. I'm interested in drill type problems that can help me sort out the different quantities intensity, irradiance, exitance, radiance and their spectral counterparts. Also, solid angle vs. projected solid angle and when usage of either is appropriate. Basically, a tutorial on radiometry. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Good text or online source on Radiometry?

What is radiometry?

Radiometry is the scientific field that deals with the measurement of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, and radio waves.

Why is radiometry important?

Radiometry is important because it allows us to accurately measure and quantify the amount of electromagnetic radiation in different types of environments, which is crucial for understanding various physical and biological processes.

What are some common applications of radiometry?

Radiometry has a wide range of applications, including remote sensing, meteorology, astronomy, medical imaging, and environmental monitoring.

How is radiometry different from photometry?

Radiometry measures all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation, while photometry only measures visible light. Radiometry also takes into account the energy of the radiation, whereas photometry measures the perceived brightness of light.

What are some good online sources for learning about radiometry?

Some good online sources for learning about radiometry include the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) website, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) website, and the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS) website.