Good supplementary real analysis book

In summary: So, it is perfect for beginners and self-learners.In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a supplement to an undergraduate real analysis course and suggests various books such as Apostol's Mathematical Analysis, Foundations of Mathematical Analysis by Richard Johnsonbaugh, Shilov and Sherbert, Real Numbers and Real Analysis by Bloch, Understanding Analysis by Stephen Abbott, and Elementary Real and Complex Analysis by G. Shilov. The participants also discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each book and make recommendations based on their personal experiences.
Physics2341313
So the course I'm taking doesn't have a textbook requirement just lecture notes as the study material. While these are sufficient I would like to supplement with an outside reference that is a bit more in depth / explanatory.

It's your typical undergrad real analysis course covering:

The least upper bound axiom, real numbers, compactness, sequences, continuity, uniform continuity, differentiation, Riemann integral etc.

Please don't suggest Rudin etc. I lack the mathematical maturity for these, which I should be building in analysis... but I don't see how trying to use a book like this as a supplement to an intro uni course would do me much good. May work for other math geniuses, but doesn't for me.

I had looked at Apostol's Mathematical Analysis. Seemed good covered all of the topics, but it's (from my point of view) a little dense. Covering topics in 1-2 pages and moving on. I don't mind dryness, and do in fact like his writing style / explanations being a fan of his calculus series. Would prefer a book with a little more explanation / discussion than statement as I find this helps me more than the latter.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your results may vary with this, but I bought a Dover book--Foundations of Mathematical Analysis by Richard Johnsonbaugh--and I've done some self studying with it. It seems to cover everything quite well, and I was able to jump into it after starting with Spivak. It's a Dover book, so you can get it for as cheap as 10$, if you're looking for something inexpensive.

Just looked at the table of contents / some sections... and wow. Literally a perfect match (more or less, about as close as I could hope) step by step to my course outline. Same style and cheap too. Perfect suggestion and supplement. Thank you for pointing me towards it, dover always has gems.

Shilov and Sherbert.

Im finding that Sherbet is more accessible, however Shilov is a better book.

Real Numbers and Real Analysis - Bloch,
Very Rigorous explanation about everything, it begins by the axioms of hoe the naturals exists, and go on by constructing the intergers with extremely clarity and rigor, PERFECT for self-study

I'm not exactly sure you have the 'mathematical maturity' to tackle it, but I think Understanding Analysis from Stephen Abbott might just be what you're looking for. Of course it won't be easy, but it will build up your mathematical maturity. One feature I particularly like is that in some of the exercices, you have to generalize, prove or even find special cases of theorems you found in the preceding section. It really helps in getting the theory to stick.

Nathan

Likes bacte2013
Shilov - Elementary Real and Complex Analysis
Hoffman - Analysis in Euclidean Plane
Tao - Analysis I-II

I strongly recommend any of them as a first introduction to the analysis. Shilov is at the level of Rudin, but it has much more gentler explanation and clear remarks. Plus, it has quite interesting problems. Tao's books start with rigorous, detailed treatment of the number systems and set theory, and he gives very clever proofs. Hoffman is good if you have a decent background in the linear algebra; he treats the integration and differentiation very well.

I've seen Abbott recommended in a great many threads but the Bloch text was recommended on this site's guide for self-studying real analysis.
Has anyone had a chance to compare them?

Real Numbers and Real Analysis by Bloch (554 pgs)
Understanding Analysis by Stephen Abbott (312 pgs)

Likes NathanaelNolk
I'm working through Angus Taylor's General Theory of Functions and Integration right now. The entry requirements are about the same as baby Rudin, but it explains things in what, to me, is a more robust manner. The "exit level"of the text is much higher than baby Rudin, also. It also handles things that will be useful in further courses of study, such as measure on Rn and methods used in functional analysis.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as your only text, but it's been a good reference already for me. Also, it's printed by Dover now, and the first edition is in many university libraries.

ibkev said:
I've seen Abbott recommended in a great many threads but the Bloch text was recommended on this site's guide for self-studying real analysis.
Has anyone had a chance to compare them?

Real Numbers and Real Analysis by Bloch (554 pgs)
Understanding Analysis by Stephen Abbott (312 pgs)

Yes, I used both when I started out Real Analysis. I think they're both good books. They both have their good points: I liked how each chapter of 'Understanding Analysis' started out as a discussion around some kind of concept, and then moved on to more formal definitions. Real Numbers and Real Analysis, on the other hand, has special topics that aren't included in Abbott's (a great construction of the number systems starting from the natural numbers, a construction of the Weierstrass function if I recall correctly). The order is also different, a lot more similar to a Calculus course.
In the end, I chose Terence Tao's Analysis I as my main text though, and I only use Bloch and Abbott as secondary texts. All three are good introduction to the subject of real analysis in my opinion. Hope I could help.

Nathan

Likes ibkev
I strongly recommend "Elementary Real and Complex Analysis" by G. Shilov. It is as rigorous as Rudin, but it has better explanations and motivations behind the concepts. It also integrates the discussion of metric topology, continuity, and sequence, rather than trying to discuss them separately as Rudin, which is a great for understanding. Plus, you get to enjoy a brilliant exposition from Russian mathematician.

As the author states in the preface, the book can be read by anyone with low mathematical maturity.

Related to Good supplementary real analysis book

What are some good supplementary real analysis books?

Some good supplementary real analysis books include "Understanding Analysis" by Stephen Abbott, "Real Mathematical Analysis" by Charles Pugh, "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin, "Real Analysis: Modern Techniques and Their Applications" by Gerald Folland, and "Real Analysis: A Long-Form Mathematics Textbook" by Jay Cummings.

What are the key features to look for in a good supplementary real analysis book?

A good supplementary real analysis book should have clear and concise explanations, a variety of examples and exercises, and a focus on the core principles and techniques of real analysis. It should also have a logical and organized structure, and possibly include additional resources such as online materials or solutions to exercises.

How can I choose the right supplementary real analysis book for my needs?

To choose the right supplementary real analysis book, consider your level of understanding and the level of the book, your learning style, and your specific goals for studying real analysis. It can also be helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from professors or other students.

Are there any free or affordable options for supplementary real analysis books?

Yes, there are many free or affordable options for supplementary real analysis books. Some online resources include OpenStax, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Khan Academy. Additionally, many textbooks have lower-priced international editions or digital versions, and some libraries may have copies available for borrowing.

How can I effectively use a supplementary real analysis book to improve my understanding?

To effectively use a supplementary real analysis book, read actively and take notes, work through the examples and exercises, and seek out additional resources or explanations for concepts that are unclear. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a professor or tutor.