Good old wedge and block sliding problem

In summary, the problem is as follows. We know the angle of the wedge to the horizontal. Let's say its a given. We don't know the mass of the wedge or the mass of the block. The planes are frictionless. There is a force pushing the entire system. The acceleration of the wedge is equal to 5 m/s^2 towards its point along the table. What is the relative acceleration of the block down the slope?
code.master
The problem is as follows.

We know the angle of the wedge to the horizontal. Let's say its a given.

We don't know the mass of the wedge or the mass of the block.

The planes are frictionless. The mass rests on a "frictionless table".

There is a force pushing the entire system. The acceleration of the wedge is equal to 5 m/s^2 towards its point along the table.

What is the relative acceleration of the block down the slope?

I already turned this problem in. I was able to get an answer that was like [itex]g\sin{\theta}-5\cos{\theta}[/itex] but I was unable to show my complete derivation. I began by seperating the forces, and showing that the forces created acceleration on the block relative to the ground, then took the position that relative to the wedge, the accelerations must have satisfied the wedges triangle. so i got something like [itex]\tan\theta = F_y/F_x [/itex]

From there its a wash for me. Could someone sort out this a bit for me? I drew my force diagrams, I did the calculations I was supposed to, I just kept getting something a little off. Maybe Ill see it in someones more elegant solution...

Physics news on Phys.org
The two ways are there of thinking.
If we take the motion of the mass relative to the wedge then, as the wedge is accelerating, is a non inertial frame of reference, we have to consider a pshudoforce = ma (a is the acc. of the wedge) in the derection apposite to the acceleration a. Resolving these forces you will get your answer.

If you want to consider only real forces then the acceleration of mass in x direction will be ax = a + ar cos@ where ar is the acceleration of mass relative to wedge, as the wedge is accelerating. and that in y direction is ay = ar sin@. You have tocalcutat ar.

Last edited:
Im sorry that I don't follow method 1 very well. I understand that the block and wedge are not in an IFR, and that we must make some sort of comparison to something that is in an IFR with itself, and that the relative motion of each the block and wedge can be described. this is obviously the ground. I went about this and didnt get the right answer. maybe you could specify what you mean about this part

"consider a pshudoforce = ma (a is the acc. of the wedge) in the derection apposite to the acceleration a. Resolving these forces you will get your answer"

does this mean that when i plug my forces back into the [itex]\tan\theta[/itex] equation, i would be adding the A_wedge to the A_block, then resolving that? that seems backwards, and still doesn't give me the right solution in the algebra, it only changes the sign of the solution from [itex]9\cos\theta-5\sin\theta[/itex] to [itex]9\cos\theta+5\sin\theta[/itex] when what i really want is [itex]9\sin\theta-5\cos\theta[/itex]. maybe you can help me understand that method more.

as to method 2. how does [itex]a_y = a_r \sin\theta[/itex] expand to solve for a_r? I am not sure i see how to find a solution easily from a single equation with multiple unknowns. a_r is unknown, and a_y is unknown, it involves the normal force and the mass of the block, both of which are also unknown. maybe you can be a bit more specific. i think i know that this leads us to finding two expressions for a_x and a_y and then using them both, but that's more like method 1, as above. i know the language barrier is hard to overcome for some, maybe using more latex would help?

Did a long thinking now enjoy solutions ! :smile: See the attachment.

Attachments

• wedge block.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 519

Related to Good old wedge and block sliding problem

1. What is the "Good old wedge and block sliding problem"?

The "Good old wedge and block sliding problem" is a classic physics problem in which a block is placed on a wedge and allowed to slide down the incline. The goal is to determine the acceleration and speed of the block as it moves down the wedge.

2. What are the key factors that affect the motion of the block in this problem?

The key factors that affect the motion of the block in this problem are the angle of incline of the wedge, the mass of the block, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface of the wedge.

3. How is the acceleration of the block calculated in this problem?

The acceleration of the block can be calculated using the formula a = g(sinθ - μcosθ), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction. This formula assumes no air resistance and a frictionless surface.

4. What is the significance of the coefficient of friction in this problem?

The coefficient of friction is important because it determines the amount of resistance the block will experience as it slides down the wedge. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a slower acceleration and speed for the block.

5. How does changing the angle of incline affect the motion of the block?

Changing the angle of incline will affect the acceleration and speed of the block. As the angle increases, the block will experience a greater component of gravity pulling it down the incline, resulting in a faster acceleration and speed. However, a steeper incline may also increase the coefficient of friction and slow down the block's motion.