Good Multivariable Calc text?

In summary, Stuart's book is not as good as some others, and Spivak's book is a good supplemental text.
QuarkCharmer
I'm taking multi-var calculus next semester and I found out that we are using this terrible excuse for a book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470131586/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Anyway, I have been studying ahead using my huge copy of Stuart, which my university uses for Calc I and II. I asked my professor why we use this new book for Calc III, and he said it had something to do with money basically, but also, James Stuart's book is a little weak for calculus III.

If Stuart is poor, and this book is horrible, what is a good book I can use to study Calculus III? I'm just going to ask a fellow student if I can copy the problems out of his book and forgo purchasing the required book.

Is Stuart a reasonable Calc III book? I partially hope so, it would save me a ton of money.

My Differential Equations class also uses a silly poor-ranking book that was picked by my school for some unknown ($) reason. What's a good alternative to that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apostol is a good book. It's very rigorous though. Maybe that isn't what you're looking for...

What are you going to cover in your Differential Equations class??

here's the book we used at harvard in 1969.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...ng&kn=functions+of+several+variables&x=58&y=9i still have it on my shelf and regard it highly.

another classic is the one by let's see... oh yes, williamson, crowell, trotter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/013112367X/?tag=pfamazon01-20since this is one of the best books ever and available for as little as $1. this is a cannot miss buy.

a short theoretical book i learned a lot from is the little calculus on manifolds by michael spivak.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/013112367X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited:
The multivariable section of Stewart's Calculus is not terrible, especially if you enjoyed the sections on single variable calculus.

If you're good with proofs, I recommend Vector Calculus by Marsden and Tromba. It's a good medium between more computational/applied texts like Stewart and theoretical texts like Apostol.

My DEQ course:
Introduction to methods and applications of ordinary
differential equations. Topics include first order differential
equations and applications; higher order linear differential equations
with applications; Laplace transforms; introduction to numerical
methods.

I'm absolutely picking up that $1 book, can't go wrong with that.

I'm not fantastic with proofs, but I am not horrible either. I'll check out that "middle-ground" book.

I don't really like the way that Stuart presents new concepts. It's basically "Here's the theorem, and here are some solved examples, and then it's just problem sets". That being said, I couldn't imagine trying to learn a new concept from Spivaks book. It's great once I already know what he's talking about though.

Maybe try Boyce & Diprima for ODE's?? I've heard good things about the book.

Spivak's book is the book we would use in the course taught at my school. Another book similar to it ( with many more details ) is the book Analysis on Manifolds by James Munkres.

micromass said:
Maybe try Boyce & Diprima for ODE's?? I've heard good things about the book.

I second Boyce and DiPrima.

Many people recommend Ordinary Differential Equations by Tenenbaum and Pollard as a supplemental textbook. It's from Dover, so it's inexpensive.

you can also try "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms" by John Hubbard. it provides a unified approach by introducing derivatives first, then teaching the necessary linear algebra to proceed with the study of manifolds (surfaces), integration involving multiple integrals, and line integrals, surface integrals, as well as generalizations of them. One thing not many books on Calculus III does is introduce the concepts of differential forms and how expressing the many integration theorems (Green's, Gauss's, Divergence) in this new language greatly simplifies things.

this may not be what you are looking for, but if you wish to understand on a deeper level the concepts presented in Calculus III then this is a book I highly recommend.

i myself preferred tenenbaum and pollard, and also martin braun ode books greatly over boyce and diprima. Indeed i never understood what anyone liked about boyce etc, as i never understood anything out of that book.

Related to Good Multivariable Calc text?

1. What makes a good multivariable calculus textbook?

A good multivariable calculus textbook should have a clear and organized structure, with well-explained concepts and examples. It should also include a variety of practice problems and exercises, as well as helpful visual aids such as diagrams and graphs.

2. What topics should a good multivariable calculus textbook cover?

A good multivariable calculus textbook should cover topics such as vectors, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and applications of multivariable calculus in physics and engineering. It should also include real-world applications and examples to help students understand the relevance and practical use of the concepts.

3. How important is the use of technology in a multivariable calculus textbook?

The use of technology, such as graphing calculators and computer programs, can greatly enhance the learning experience of multivariable calculus. However, it should not be the sole focus of the textbook. A good textbook should strike a balance between using technology as a tool to aid understanding and promoting independent problem-solving skills.

4. What makes a good multivariable calculus textbook stand out?

A good multivariable calculus textbook should stand out by providing clear and concise explanations, a variety of practice problems, and real-world applications. It should also include additional resources such as online practice quizzes and video tutorials to further support student learning.

5. How can I determine if a multivariable calculus textbook is suitable for my needs?

Before purchasing a multivariable calculus textbook, it is important to research the author, read reviews, and preview the content to ensure it aligns with your learning style and needs. You can also ask for recommendations from your professor or peers who have taken the course previously.