Good Math/Physics book for someone preparing for College

In summary, Rico Sauve is a senior in high school who wants to major in Biology and has recently realized the importance of math and physics in scientific applications. He is currently struggling in his Physics and Calculus courses and is looking for self-teaching resources. He is specifically interested in finding a textbook with detailed explanations and plenty of practice problems.
RicoSauve
Dear Physics Forums,

I am Rico Sauve and I want to be a Biology Major when I attend eithier Rutgers Univeristy or Rider University. My problem is I just recently discovered to do all those cool apllication with science you need to be good at math and physics! I am currently in my senior year and I am taking Physics and Calculus. My math expeirence has been Algebra 1 Geometry Algebra 2 and a half year course in Triognometry.

I got a C for the first marking period because I just had dificulty understanding limits and our teacher made us learn how to do derivatives the hard way first or proving them? (As I now understand it anywho). I am actually pretty confident in calc now however I fear my trig and algebra 2 skills are not up to pace.

I am doing miserably in Physics and it just discouraging. I want to take self responsibilty and self teach myself Physics so I just don't end up saying I had a bad teacher. I really love science as I watch Science channel frequently!

What are some good textbooks that gives explanation line by line or at least with some lenth and loads of pratice problems! I just hate the ones I currently have and I feel like it would help alot. I want physical books please! Thanks for reading!

Rico Sauve

Physics news on Phys.org
Six Ideas that Shaped Physics by Thomas A. Moore is a pretty good intro physics text. It's split up into various books that are pretty distinct, so if you don't want to learn thermodynamics or relativity, you just don't have to buy those books. It's one of the simplest calculus-based physics books.

Related to Good Math/Physics book for someone preparing for College

1. What are the essential topics that should be covered in a good math/physics book for college preparation?

A good math/physics book for college preparation should cover topics such as algebra, geometry, calculus, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. It should also have a strong emphasis on problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

2. Is it necessary for the book to have a lot of practice problems and exercises?

Yes, it is important for a good math/physics book to have a sufficient number of practice problems and exercises. This will help the reader to apply the concepts learned and improve their problem-solving skills.

3. Are there any recommended authors or publishers for math/physics books geared towards college preparation?

Some popular and highly recommended authors for math/physics books for college preparation include Thomas Calculus, University Physics by Young and Freedman, and Calculus: Early Transcendentals by Stewart. As for publishers, Pearson and McGraw-Hill Education are well-known for producing quality textbooks in the field of math and physics.

4. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials that can accompany the book?

Many textbooks now come with online resources such as practice quizzes, interactive simulations, and video lectures. It is always beneficial to take advantage of these resources as they can provide additional practice and explanation of concepts.

5. How can I determine if a math/physics book is suitable for my level of understanding?

You can check the table of contents and read reviews to get an idea of the level of difficulty of the book. It is also recommended to consult with your teacher or a subject expert for their recommendation based on your current understanding and knowledge of the subject.