Good combinatorics books for self-study?

In summary, the student is a first-year physics major interested in learning about combinatorics over the summer. They are looking for introductory or low-level books as their college's course on the subject has high prerequisites and may not be taught again before they graduate. The student also asks if it will be difficult to learn combinatorics with only a background in calc 2. While the expert cannot recommend a specific textbook, they suggest looking into Schaum's Outline of combinatorics on Amazon as it has a good reputation for quality and provides a wealth of worked examples.
myranaira
I am a first-year physics major (currently in calc 2) and was wondering if there are any good introductory/low-level books on combinatorics through which I could educate myself over the summer. My college is offering a topics course on it next semester, but I was told by the professor that it has high prerequisites and I probably wouldn't understand it at the level that it will be taught at. Because my college is a small institution, it may not be taught again before I graduate, which is why I'm looking into studying it myself. Any tips or suggestions? Also, will it be difficult to learn the majority of combinatorics topics with only a calc 2 background?

Physics news on Phys.org
Though I can't recommend you a textbook, I will simply point you to the fact that there is a Schaum's Outline of combinatorics amazon link.

Schaum's has a good record for quality, though they tend to be meant as supplements as opposed to a stand-alone textbook. With that said given the price it can't hurt to have one, if only for the wealth of worked examples.

Related to Good combinatorics books for self-study?

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of counting, arranging, and selecting objects or elements in a finite or discrete manner.

2. What are some essential topics that a good combinatorics book should cover?

A good combinatorics book should cover topics such as permutations, combinations, binomial coefficients, generating functions, graph theory, and recurrence relations.

3. Can you recommend a good combinatorics book for self-study?

Some popular books for self-study on combinatorics include "A Walk Through Combinatorics" by Miklos Bona, "Combinatorics: Topics, Techniques, Algorithms" by Peter J. Cameron, and "Combinatorics: The Rota Way" by Joseph P. S. Kung, Gian-Carlo Rota, and Catherine H. Yan.

4. What level of mathematical background is required for understanding combinatorics?

Combinatorics can be studied by students with a basic understanding of algebra, geometry, and calculus. A good understanding of mathematical proofs and logic is also helpful in studying combinatorics.

5. Are there any online resources for self-study of combinatorics?

Yes, there are several online resources for self-study of combinatorics, such as video lectures on YouTube, online courses on platforms like Coursera and edX, and open-access textbooks available on websites like OpenStax and Project Gutenberg.