Good Books to use to Study Particle Physics

In summary, if you're just interested in some popular science books, then I'm sure you can find many of these. They are often very fun to read and give an idea what physics is roughly about. However, pop sci books won't help you understand the topic. If you want to gain real understanding, then you will have to study physics rigorously. But it will take years of dedicated study before you can do something like particle physics.
PaintStuff
I'm in tenth grade and am interested in studying physics. I've heard that the best way to get started is to have an understanding of elementary physics, so can anyone recommend some books and websites to get started? I have practically no background at the moment, so a general overview would be helpful. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're just interested in some popular science books, then I'm sure you can find many of these. They are often very fun to read and give an idea what physics is roughly about.

However, pop sci books won't help you understand the topic. If you want to gain real understanding, then you will have to study physics rigorously. But it will take years of dedicated study before you can do something like particle physics. Many people lack the discipline for such a study, or they lack the motivation, or they even find out that physics is boring and not at all what they thought it was! (Yes, particle physics is entirely different from how it is presented in the popular media!)

Anyway, if you're truly interested in a rigorous and real understanding, then the most important thing to study now is mathematics. Make sure you are very comfortable with basic algebra, trigonometry, geometry, precalculus,... I highly recommend the book "basic mathematics" by Lang. This book contains everything of mathematics (before calculus) that one needs to know of high school. Lang is a mathematician though, and his style is mathematical. You may dislike this. But do check out the book.

After the basic mathematics, you can do some algebra based physics. This is very boring. They will basically just give you the formulas and you will have to solve questions by plugging in values in the formulas. But it might make you familiar with a lot of concepts used commonly in physics.

Instead of doing algebra based physics, you can just skip it and move directly to calculus based physics. Of course, you need to have a good grasp on basic calculus first. Usually, a Calculus I suffices (and a bit of Calculus II perhaps). Some good calculus books are Lang: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387962018/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and Kleppner: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and Kline: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486404536/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Once you know a bit of calculus, you can study books like Halliday and Resnick. These books are better than algebra based physics, but they are still boring. But it is a beginning. Later on, the physics will be much more interesting and challenging.

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
Anyway, if you're truly interested in a rigorous and real understanding, then the most important thing to study now is mathematics. Make sure you are very comfortable with basic algebra, trigonometry, geometry, precalculus,... I highly recommend the book "basic mathematics" by Lang. This book contains everything of mathematics (before calculus) that one needs to know of high school.

I am IN precalculus right now. I took algebra 2/trig last year, and geometry in 8th grade. With that kind of math knowledge, what should I be doing right now?

PaintStuff said:
I am IN precalculus right now. I took algebra 2/trig last year, and geometry in 8th grade. With that kind of math knowledge, what should I be doing right now?

Then I guess you can either do an algebra-based physics book. Or you can work through a calculus book. I recommend the latter since algebra-based physics is really boring. Physics is only fun with calculus.

Ok thanks!

Related to Good Books to use to Study Particle Physics

1. What are some good books for beginners to use to study particle physics?

Some good books for beginners to use to study particle physics include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths, "Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction" by Frank Close, and "Modern Particle Physics" by Mark Thomson.

2. Are there any online resources that can supplement the use of textbooks for studying particle physics?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement the use of textbooks for studying particle physics. Some popular ones include Coursera's "Introduction to Particle Physics" course, MIT's OpenCourseWare lectures on particle physics, and CERN's interactive educational resources.

3. Are there any books that focus specifically on the Standard Model of particle physics?

Yes, "The Standard Model in a Nutshell" by Dave Goldberg and "The Standard Model and Beyond" by Paul Langacker are both excellent books that focus specifically on the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. Are there any good books that explore the history of particle physics and its major discoveries?

Yes, "The Particle at the End of the Universe" by Sean Carroll and "The Large Hadron Collider: The Extraordinary Story of the Higgs Boson and Other Stuff That Will Blow Your Mind" by Don Lincoln are both great books that delve into the history of particle physics and its major discoveries.

5. Are there any textbooks on particle physics that are geared towards non-physics majors?

Yes, "Particle Physics: A Beginner's Guide" by Brian Martin and "The Ideas of Particle Physics: An Introduction for Scientists" by G. D. Coughlan and J. E. Dodd are both textbooks that are geared towards non-physics majors and provide a more accessible introduction to the subject.