Good Books on Tensors: Recommendations for Undergraduates

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a good book on tensors for understanding and gaining a good grasp on the topic. Recommendations are given for different types of books and sources, including books for mathematicians, physicists, and engineers, as well as sources for both basic and advanced topics in tensor algebra and differential geometry. Some concerns are also raised regarding notational clarity in mathematical expressions involving tensors.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I need a good book on tensors, so that I can understand and get good hold of the topic. Can anyone recommend me a good book, like one used in undergraduate level?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need a book for mathematicians, a book for physicists, or a book for engineers?

Demystifier said:
Do you need a book for mathematicians, a book for physicists, or a book for engineers?

Physics.

Wrichik Basu said:
Physics.
Then try J.L. Synge, A. Schild, Tensor Calculus.
It's published by Dover, so it's probably cheap.

Alternatively, if you need it for general relativity, any textbook on GR has a chapter or two on tensors.

Demystifier said:
Then try J.L. Synge, A. Schild, Tensor Calculus.
It's published by Dover, so it's probably cheap.

Alternatively, if you need it for general relativity, any textbook on GR has a chapter or two on tensors.

I actually want to learn the basics of the topic and understand it thoroughly. Will surely try your first book. Thanks.

Tensor is an object of differential geometry. Learn differential geometry, you can not understand tensors independently on differential geometry of manifolds

zwierz said:
Tensor is an object of differential geometry. Learn differential geometry, you can not understand tensors independently on differential geometry of manifolds

Well then, give me a book on differential geometry.

zwierz said:
It depends on the perspective. The differential-geometry aspect of tensors is indeed essential in general relativity, but perhaps not so much in theory of elasticity. In the latter case, the algebraic aspect of tensors is perhaps sufficient.

Likes smodak and Wrichik Basu
You can find lots of good basic material by googling "linear algebra multilinear tensor"

To go from tensor algebra to tensor differential geomtry, you can try Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds and Reyer Sjamaar's Manifolds and Differential Forms lecture notes http://www.math.cornell.edu/~sjamaar/manifolds/.

Two books I really like are Crampin and Pirani's Applicable Differential Geometry and Fecko's
Differential Geometry and Lie Groups for Physicists. They give the translation between the mathematical notation using differential geometric objects and physicist's index gymnastics.

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier
atyy said:
You can find lots of good basic material by googling "linear algebra multilinear tensor"

To go from tensor algebra to tensor differential geomtry, you can try Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds and Reyer Sjamaar's Manifolds and Differential Forms lecture notes http://www.math.cornell.edu/~sjamaar/manifolds/.

Two books I really like are Crampin and Pirani's Applicable Differential Geometry and Fecko's
Differential Geometry and Lie Groups for Physicists. They give the translation between the mathematical notation using differential geometric objects and physicist's index gymnastics.

Of course I can Google, but there is a difference in getting books from authorized sources rather than unauthorised ones.

Schutz, Geometrical Methods of Mathematical Physics. An easy read.
Wasserman, Tensors and Manifolds is a very thorough development of the subject.

Likes Demystifier
Wrichik Basu said:
I need a good book on tensors, so that I can understand and get good hold of the topic. Can anyone recommend me a good book, like one used in undergraduate level?
I really like Pavel Grinfeld's book and the accompanying free lectures (with links to solutions etc.).

Likes Wrichik Basu and Demystifier
It is in french " Elements de calcul tensoriel '' , Lichnerowicz.

Ssnow

Likes dextercioby
smodak said:
I really like Pavel Grinfeld's book and the accompanying free lectures (with links to solutions etc.).
Hm, the notation in Chpt. 6 where he finally introduces tensor components (not as claimed tensors, but that's a common practice among physicists), is dangerous at best. One should really be very careful in not only make a thorough distinction in the vertical position of indices (indicating whether one has co- or contravariant components of tensors) but also the horizontal position. Otherwise it can come to ambiguities leading to great confusion. Also the prime indicating the other basis to which the components refer should be on the symbol, not at the indices. So Eq. (6.1) should in fact read
$$T_j'=T_i {J^i}_j.$$
With this little more effort in notational clarity, which is a bit cumbersome (particularly with a bad handwriting like mine ;-)), pays off by being much more safe against confusing oneself in calculations with many indices.

Likes dextercioby
vanhees71 said:
Hm, the notation in Chpt. 6 where he finally introduces tensor components (not as claimed tensors, but that's a common practice among physicists), is dangerous at best. One should really be very careful in not only make a thorough distinction in the vertical position of indices (indicating whether one has co- or contravariant components of tensors) but also the horizontal position. Otherwise it can come to ambiguities leading to great confusion. Also the prime indicating the other basis to which the components refer should be on the symbol, not at the indices. So Eq. (6.1) should in fact read
$$T_j'=T_i {J^i}_j.$$
With this little more effort in notational clarity, which is a bit cumbersome (particularly with a bad handwriting like mine ;-)), pays off by being much more safe against confusing oneself in calculations with many indices.
So, what do you suggest as a good introductory tensor analysis book for a beginner?

That's a difficult question. Usually textbooks on general relativity have good introductions to tensor analysis, e.g., Landau, Lifshitz, vol. 2 or the book by Stephani; for the modern way using Cartan calculus and differential forms, Misner, Thorne, Wheeler.

Ssnow said:
It is in french " Elements de calcul tensoriel '' , Lichnerowicz.

Ssnow

It has been translated for the 1st time in English 55 years ago.

Likes Ssnow

Related to Good Books on Tensors: Recommendations for Undergraduates

1. What are tensors and why are they important in mathematics and science?

Tensors are mathematical objects that describe the relationships between different physical quantities. They are important because they allow us to represent and manipulate complex physical phenomena, such as fluid flow, elasticity, and electromagnetism, in a concise and elegant way.

2. What level of mathematics is required to understand tensors?

To understand tensors, a solid foundation in linear algebra, multivariable calculus, and differential equations is necessary. Some familiarity with vector and matrix operations is also helpful.

3. What are some good books on tensors for undergraduate students?

Some popular books on tensors for undergraduates include "Introduction to Tensor Analysis and the Calculus of Moving Surfaces" by Pavel Grinfeld, "Tensor Calculus for Physics: A Concise Guide" by Dwight E. Neuenschwander, and "A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors" by Daniel Fleisch.

4. Are there any online resources for learning about tensors?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about tensors, including video lectures, interactive tutorials, and online textbooks. Some popular websites for learning about tensors include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and MathWorld.

5. How can tensors be applied in real-world problems?

Tensors have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and analyze systems in mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and general relativity, among others. Tensors are also used in machine learning and data analysis for tasks such as image and signal processing, natural language processing, and recommendation systems.