Gomoku: Seeking Rules & Heuristics for Assignment

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, Gomoku is an abstract strategy board game played on a grid board with black and white stones. The objective is to be the first player to place five stones in a row. The basic rules involve taking turns placing stones and achieving five in a row to win. Common strategies include creating and blocking formations and controlling the center of the board. Heuristics, or rules based on common strategies, can be used to evaluate positions and improve gameplay.
Adam
I am to write an agent to play the game Gomoku, for an assignment. Does anyone know any basic rules/heuristics I might use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link.

So far I have done a search for my agent. It returns the best move from a brute force search. However, I have absolutely no idea how to write heuristics for it. Can anyone give me an example (for this game, five-in-a-row or connect-5) of a heuristics function in LISP/CLISP?

Related to Gomoku: Seeking Rules & Heuristics for Assignment

1. What is Gomoku?

Gomoku, also known as Five in a Row, is a two-player abstract strategy board game. It is played on a grid board with black and white stones. The objective of the game is to be the first player to place five stones in a row, horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.

2. What are the basic rules of Gomoku?

The basic rules of Gomoku are as follows:

• Players take turns placing one stone at a time on an empty intersection on the board.
  • The first player to get five stones in a row, horizontally, vertically, or diagonally, wins the game.
  • If the board is filled without either player achieving five in a row, the game is a tie.

3. What are some common strategies used in Gomoku?

Some common strategies used in Gomoku include:

• Creating and blocking potential five in a row formations.
  • Controlling the center of the board.
  • Using threats to force the opponent to defend in certain areas.
  • Building multiple potential five in a row formations simultaneously.

4. What are heuristics in Gomoku?

Heuristics in Gomoku refer to a set of guidelines or rules that can be used to evaluate the strength of a position on the board. These heuristics are based on common strategies and can be used to make informed decisions during the game.

5. How can heuristics be used to improve gameplay in Gomoku?

By using heuristics, players can make more strategic and informed moves during the game. By evaluating the strength of a position based on these rules, players can make decisions that will put them in a better position to win the game. Additionally, heuristics can also be used to analyze and improve gameplay strategies over time.