Golf Ball in Flat Space-Time: Return or Shift?

In summary: In your revised scenario, the golf ball would have to re-appear at the location of the sunlike star, but if you look at it from the perspective of an observer on a different frame of reference, the star would have already disappeared and the golf ball would be shifted to where the sunlike star was in that frame.
Davephaelon
Imagine a test particle (say a golf ball) just floating in flat space-time. Now have a sunlike star instantly appear some distance away. From the perspective of a distant observer, (using very distant background stars for reference), the golf ball will be shifted towards the star a certain amount due to the contraction of space along the line intersecting the star's center and the center of the golf ball. Now, magically make the sunlike star disappear.

Question: Will the golf ball simply return to it's original location (which I assume must be the case) as the space around it reverts to its original shape, or will it be permanently shifted towards where the sunlike star was located?

Physics news on Phys.org
Davephaelon said:
Now, magically make the sunlike star disappear.
You cannot do this and expect physics to give you an answer. It would violate basic physical principles.

Likes vanhees71
Well, it was just a thought experiment, not real world. I probably shouldn't have used the word "magical". I've been reading Kip Thorne's excellent book "Black Holes and Time Warps", and such thought experiments are sprinkled throughout the book. I realize it would violate physical principles - stars just don't pop in and out of existence - but surely there must be a concrete answer to the question of what happens to the "test particle".

The conservation of energy is "baked in" to the basic equations of general relativity. You are going to have to provide a means of creating the star that doesn't violate that conservation to be able to get a coherent answer. If you don't do so, there's no way to use relativity to describe the scenario.

Hmmm..., this would violate the rule that macro-scale negative energy densities are forbidden in our universe, but to make energy conservation hold, the scenario could change to having the golf ball, initially, midway between two stars of identical size and mass, except that one star is composed of negative mass-energy. Then the net energy of both stars is exactly zero. And as long as they simultaneously pop in and out of existence, energy is conserved.

Looking at it from this point of view, the displaced golf ball, (relative to the distant stars), would have to revert to its original position for overall energy conservation to hold. In a sense, this scenario is similar to the Alcubierre Warp, which always puzzled me. In the Alcubierre Warp there is negative-energy density behind the ship and positive-energy density in front of the ship. It always struck me that switching on such a hypothetical field would simply displace the original position of the craft a distance appropriate to the field's strength, but once the field is turned off again, the ship would return to its original position. I know the usual description is that the ship rides a wave of space-time distortion, like a surfer. I have to be missing something here, which would require a formal, mathematical understanding of General Relativity.

Energy conservation is a local law in general relativity; your revised scenario violates it in two places instead of one. Even granting the possibility of negative energy.

You can't do what you want to do in a relativistic universe, in short. You can form a star by collapsing a gas cloud, but you can't make one pop into existence.

Likes Orodruin
To add to what Ibix said, simultaneity is frame dependent (which is essentially the underlying reason that energy conservation must be local).

Related to Golf Ball in Flat Space-Time: Return or Shift?

1. What is the concept of "Golf Ball in Flat Space-Time: Return or Shift?"

"Golf Ball in Flat Space-Time: Return or Shift" is a hypothetical scenario that involves a golf ball being hit in a perfectly flat space-time. It explores the concept of how the ball would behave in this type of environment, and whether it would return to its original position or shift to a different location.

2. How is this concept relevant to science?

This concept is relevant to science because it allows us to explore the behavior of objects in a simplified and controlled environment. It also helps us understand the principles of space-time and how it affects the movement of objects.

3. What factors would influence the return or shift of the golf ball in this scenario?

The return or shift of the golf ball would be influenced by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of the shot, and the properties of the space-time itself. Other variables, such as air resistance and gravitational pull, may also play a role.

4. How does this concept relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

This concept is closely related to Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes how space and time are interconnected and affected by the presence of matter and energy. In this scenario, the golf ball's movement is influenced by the curvature of space-time caused by its own mass and the mass of the object it is being hit by.

5. Can this concept be applied to other objects besides a golf ball?

Yes, this concept can be applied to any object in a flat space-time environment. It can also be expanded to explore the behavior of objects in curved space-time, as well as the effects of different forces such as electromagnetism and nuclear forces.