Golf ball equation for Projectile Motion need to know if I am doing it correctly

In summary, a golfer hits a ball with an initial speed of 109 km/h. The longest hole in one they can make without the ball rolling is 77.1 km. The ball spends approximately 127008 seconds in the air. The maximum height reached by the ball is not given.
sophiegirl411

Homework Statement

A golfer hits the ball with an initial speed of 109km/hr
A) What is the longest hole in one (in km) that he golfer can make without the ball rolling?
B)How much time does the ball spend in the air
C) What is the maximum height reached by the ball

Homework Equations

gravity= -9.8 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

109cos(45)=77.1 km/hr
t=77.1/g
9.8m/s *1/1000m *3600^2=127008

Physics news on Phys.org
sophiegirl411 said:

Homework Statement

A golfer hits the ball with an initial speed of 109km/hr
A) What is the longest hole in one (in km) that he golfer can make without the ball rolling?
B)How much time does the ball spend in the air
C) What is the maximum height reached by the ball

Homework Equations

gravity= -9.8 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

109cos(45)=77.1 km/hr
t=77.1/g
9.8m/s *1/1000m *3600^2=127008

If g = 9.81, you need to change 109 km/h into metres per second

Related to Golf ball equation for Projectile Motion need to know if I am doing it correctly

1. How do I calculate the initial velocity of a golf ball?

The initial velocity of a golf ball can be calculated by dividing the distance the ball travels in meters by the time it takes to travel that distance in seconds. This will give you the velocity in meters per second (m/s).

2. What is the equation for projectile motion of a golf ball?

The equation for projectile motion of a golf ball is: y = y0 + vy0t - 1/2gt^2, where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial height, vy0 is the initial vertical velocity, t is time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. How do I know if I am using the correct angle for the golf ball's trajectory?

The angle for the golf ball's trajectory can be calculated using the equation: θ = tan^-1(vy0/ vx0), where θ is the angle, vy0 is the initial vertical velocity, and vx0 is the initial horizontal velocity. To ensure accuracy, it is recommended to use a protractor to measure the angle of release.

4. What is the significance of air resistance in the golf ball equation for projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the golf ball's motion. It can affect the trajectory and distance of the ball. The golf ball equation for projectile motion assumes that there is no air resistance, so it may not be completely accurate in real-life situations.

5. How do I know if I have calculated the final position of the golf ball correctly?

The final position of the golf ball can be calculated using the equation: y = y0 + vy0t - 1/2gt^2. To ensure accuracy, it is important to double check your calculations and use appropriate units (e.g. meters for distance, seconds for time). You can also compare your results to the actual distance the ball traveled if you have access to that information.