Goldstein Mechanics chpt 1, Exercise 15

In summary, the purpose of Exercise 15 in Goldstein Mechanics chapter 1 is to provide practice problems for students to apply the concepts and equations learned in the chapter. Whether or not it is difficult may vary for each individual, but it is important to carefully read and understand the question and use appropriate equations and concepts to solve it. It is not recommended to skip Exercise 15, as it is important for reinforcing understanding and improving problem-solving skills. Checking the answer can be done by comparing it to solutions provided in the textbook or seeking assistance from a teacher or classmate. The amount of time spent on Exercise 15 may vary, but it is recommended to allocate enough time to fully grasp the concepts and solve the problem accurately.
dracobook

Homework Statement

A point particle moves in space under the influence of a force derivable from
a generalized potential of the form
[tex] U(r, v) = V (r) + \sigma \cdot L [/tex]
where [tex] r [/tex] is the radius vector from a fixed point, [tex] L [/tex] is the angular momentum about that point, and [tex] \sigma [/tex] is a fixed vector in space.
Find the components of the force on the particle in both Cartesian and
spherical poloar coordinates, on the basis of Lagrangian’s equations with
a generalized potential.

Homework Equations

[tex] Q_j = -\frac{\partial U}{\partial q_j} + \frac{d}{dt} (\frac{\partial U}{\partial \dot{q_j}})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Cartesian, I get :
[tex] F = 2m(\mathbf{\sigma} \times \mathbf{v}) - V' \frac{\mathbf{r}}{r} [/tex] I let [tex] \sigma [/tex] point in the z direction, then it simplifies my cartesian to
[tex] U = V(r) + m\sigma (x\dot{y} - y\dot{x}) [/tex]
If I plug in the x in terms of [tex] r, \theta, \phi [/tex] I get
[tex] Q_r = - \frac{dV}{dr} - 2 m \sigma r \text{sin}^2 \theta \dot{\phi} [/tex].
My Question is, is it possible to go the other way around? That is, what if I plug in the x, y z-> r, theta, phi equivalence of the generalized potential. How can I then restrict it so that sigma is faced in the z-axis? Sorry I know this is perhaps somewhat irrelevant to the question...but it's something that is really bothering me.

In addition if someone could give me an example of situation in which a point particle would undergo such a force that would be great (the angular momentum dot sigma really throws off my intuition).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-draco

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear draco,

Thank you for your post. The components of the force on the particle in both Cartesian and spherical polar coordinates can be derived using Lagrangian's equations with a generalized potential. In Cartesian coordinates, the force can be expressed as F = 2m(\mathbf{\sigma} \times \mathbf{v}) - V' \frac{\mathbf{r}}{r}, where \sigma points in the z direction. This expression can be simplified by using the x, y, z-> r, theta, phi equivalence of the generalized potential. However, in order to restrict sigma to be in the z-axis, you would need to set the x and y components of the generalized potential to be zero. This would result in a force that only acts in the z-direction, as desired.

An example of a situation in which a point particle would undergo such a force is in the case of a charged particle moving in a magnetic field. In this case, the force on the particle can be expressed as F = q(\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B}), where \mathbf{B} is the magnetic field vector and q is the charge of the particle. This can be rewritten in terms of the generalized potential as F = \frac{\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{B}}{m} - \frac{q}{m}(\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{L}), where \mathbf{L} is the angular momentum of the particle.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Goldstein Mechanics chpt 1, Exercise 15

1. What is the purpose of Exercise 15 in Goldstein Mechanics chapter 1?

The purpose of Exercise 15 in Goldstein Mechanics chapter 1 is to provide practice problems for students to apply the concepts and equations learned in the chapter. It allows students to test their understanding and problem-solving skills.

2. Is Exercise 15 in Goldstein Mechanics chapter 1 difficult?

The difficulty of Exercise 15 in Goldstein Mechanics chapter 1 may vary for each individual. It is important to carefully read and understand the question, and use the appropriate equations and concepts to solve it.

3. Can I skip Exercise 15 in Goldstein Mechanics chapter 1?

No, it is not recommended to skip Exercise 15 in Goldstein Mechanics chapter 1. Practice problems like this are important for reinforcing understanding and improving problem-solving skills. Skipping it may make it more difficult to understand future material.

4. How can I check my answer for Exercise 15 in Goldstein Mechanics chapter 1?

You can check your answer for Exercise 15 in Goldstein Mechanics chapter 1 by comparing it to the solutions provided in the textbook or by asking a teacher or classmate for assistance. It is important to understand the solution rather than just getting the correct answer.

5. How much time should I spend on Exercise 15 in Goldstein Mechanics chapter 1?

The amount of time spent on Exercise 15 in Goldstein Mechanics chapter 1 may vary for each individual. It is important to take the time to carefully read and understand the question, and to work through the problem thoroughly. It is recommended to allocate enough time to fully grasp the concepts and solve the problem accurately.