Godel's unprovable statement - Numberfile

• I
  • Thread starter jamalkoiyess
  • Start date
In summary, Godel's Incompleteness Theorems state that there are statements in a logical system that cannot be proven true or false based on the given axioms. One such statement, known as the mind twister, was created by Godel himself and effectively says that it cannot be proven using the axioms. This results in a contradiction if it is proven and an undecidable proposition if it is not. This shows that no logical system can prove all true statements, leading to the concept of undecidable propositions.
jamalkoiyess
Hello PF,

I was watching this video

and around 8:00 the speaker says that the statement that cannot be proven by the axioms is supposed first as false which would make it provable by the axioms, "which would make it true since it was proven". However, the proof can be a proof that the statement is false so that would not make the contradiction.

I think this is some kind of mind twister that I cannot get over.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jamalkoiyess said:
I think this is some kind of mind twister that I cannot get over.

Thanks!

The idea is a version of Russell's paradox:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_paradox

What Godel did was to construct a statement (by ingeniously getting number theory to talk about itself) that effectively said:

"This statement cannot be proved from the given axioms."

Now, if you prove that statement, then you have a contradiction.

And, if you cannot prove it, then it is a true statement that cannot be proved. This is the key point. The statement itself is true, in the sense that it cannot be false. But, this cannot be proved using the axioms. Hence, your axiomatic system cannot be used to prove all true statements.

This leads to the concept of an undecidable proposition.

Likes jamalkoiyess and jedishrfu

Related to Godel's unprovable statement - Numberfile

What is Godel's unprovable statement and why is it important in mathematics?

Godel's unprovable statement, also known as Godel's incompleteness theorem, is a mathematical proof that states that in any formal mathematical system, there will always be true statements that cannot be proven within the system. This is important because it shows that no system can be complete and consistent at the same time.

Who discovered Godel's unprovable statement and when?

Godel's unprovable statement was discovered by Austrian mathematician Kurt Godel in 1931.

What is the significance of Godel's unprovable statement in computer science?

In computer science, Godel's unprovable statement has implications for the limitations of computer programs and algorithms. It shows that there will always be problems that cannot be solved by a computer, no matter how powerful it is.

Is Godel's unprovable statement universally accepted in the mathematical community?

Yes, Godel's unprovable statement is widely accepted within the mathematical community. However, there are some mathematicians who believe that there may be flaws in the proof or that it may not apply to all mathematical systems.

Can Godel's unprovable statement be applied to other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, the concept of unprovable statements and the limitations of formal systems can be applied to other fields such as philosophy, logic, and linguistics.