Go for a Masters? Considerations for a Career Change

• Thread starter scipy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Masters
In summary, your experience and education might not be the best, but your skills and accomplishments are very impressive.
scipy
Hi,

I'm 28 coming on 29 and I work in the packaging industry Mechanical Engineer. I've been in this industry for about 7 years, and I am bored of it. I am currently looking for changing industries...what i really wish i would have done was gotten a masters degree in something I THINK IS COOL like CFD, Aerospace, Controls, computational methods. Is there any hope for someone like my going back to school and changing industries??

My experience involves some FEA, design validation, but it's mostly custom capital equipment for packaging...not rocket science to say the least.

I know this isn't a "good" physics forum post...u guys are probably not used to dealing with "unrealized potential" complaints...sorry...

basically, i really miss modeling systems and the theory side of things. Lately I've been writing programs in Python on the side just to keep my job interesting and get back in the game.

Physics news on Phys.org
A masters degree is almost always a good choice from a financial standpoint. Also since you're wanting to switch fields it wil be a million times easier coming out of school. Your experience will be a plus.

carlgrace said:
A masters degree is almost always a good choice from a financial standpoint. Also since you're wanting to switch fields it wil be a million times easier coming out of school. Your experience will be a plus.

Well, i have a lot of research to do on this. My GPA is not good...2.9 Cumulative and 3.0 Major studies (mechanical engineering). I did go to a rigorous, well respected undergrad engineering school though. Do you know if Grad school admissions would cut me slack on my GPA because of my work experience?

I also did a year long Sr. Design project in my school. It was an international Airplane competition. My team won best design (14 of us), i was in charge of the aerodynamics division (propulsion and structure was the other two), did wind tunnel testing and wrote computer models (non linear DFs, Fourier series, nothing too fancy i guess, although the GUI i made was cool :))...

also ended up taking over structures as well...

that was the most exciting thing i ever worked on. very motivating. u might say I was late on picking up on the beauty of math and modeling.

Ive made some major improvement to the product line at my company as well, and am a well respected mechanical engineer there.

I could probably snag a few good letters of recommendation too.

Related to Go for a Masters? Considerations for a Career Change

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a Masters degree for a career change?

Pursuing a Masters degree can provide several benefits for a career change. It can help you gain specialized knowledge and skills in a new field, which can make you a more competitive job candidate. Additionally, a Masters degree can lead to higher pay and better job opportunities.

2. How do I determine if a Masters degree is necessary for my desired career change?

It is important to research the job market and industry you are interested in to determine if a Masters degree is necessary for your desired career change. You can also speak with professionals in the field to gain insight into the education and experience required for the job.

3. Can I work while pursuing a Masters degree for a career change?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing a Masters degree for a career change. Many programs offer flexible schedules, such as evening or online classes, to accommodate students who are also working. It is important to carefully manage your time and prioritize your responsibilities to be successful in both work and school.

4. Are there any financial considerations for pursuing a Masters degree for a career change?

Pursuing a Masters degree can be a significant financial investment. It is important to research the cost of the program and any potential financial aid or scholarship opportunities. You should also consider the potential return on investment in terms of salary and job opportunities after completing the degree.

5. Is it possible to switch fields completely with a Masters degree?

While a Masters degree can provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to switch fields, it is important to keep in mind that it may not guarantee a complete switch. Employers may still prefer candidates with previous experience in the field. However, a Masters degree can make you a more competitive candidate and open up new job opportunities in a different field.