Global Warming alarming species demise

In summary, a study has revealed that up to 50% of all species could face extinction by the year 2050 due to global warming. Some people believe this prediction is blown out of proportion, but evidence from the Permian Mass Extinction shows that such a large-scale extinction is possible. Additionally, small changes in diversity caused by rising temperatures can have a significant impact on ecosystems. It will take several decades to see the full effects of global warming on species, but the outcome is uncertain and could potentially lead to new opportunities for evolution. Some people have already suggested a list of species they would not mind seeing go extinct, such as disease-carrying mosquitos.
SF
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0108-06.htm

An Unnatural Disaster: Global Warming to Kill Off 1 Million Species
Scientists Shocked by Results of Research; 1 in 10 animals and plants extinct by 2050
Is it just me, or those studies show results that are extremely blown out of proportion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
SF said:
Is it just me, or those studies show results that are extremely blown out of proportion?
What eactly do you mean "blown out of proportion"?

The study sais that up to 50% of all species could be driven to extinction in the next 30-40 years due to global warming.

50% of all species dying, due to a difference of a few degrees is to me "blown out of proportions".

The Permian Mass Extinction saw as much as 90% of marine species go extinct. From that point of view, a 50% extinction is possible from a temperature rise. Whether it will happen or not is speculation.

Interestingly, there are papers that posit part of the Permian Mass Extinction to extremely hot temperatures on earth. End of the Permian is the hottest period on record after the start of multicellular life forms.

Anyway, the folks talking about mass extinction from rising temperatures are getting some ammunition from the Permian data. IMO.

I'm staying out of the climatological debate and presenting what the fossil record shows. I can't say what will or will not happen in the next 50 years.

I don't think it's unrealistic, but I think the data may be merging other factors into the equation for the total extinction rate. There has been a fairly steady rise in extinction usually blamed on "human interference" which probably accounts for a lot of the extinction that would be included in the global warming caused extinction.

But even things such as species diversity are showing some drastic changes with the small increases in annual temperature. Small changes in diversity can destroy the stability of many ecosystems and can lead to a lot of problems.

Good news SF, keep healthy, and if you are not too old, you will know the answer to your question in ~ 44 years. I wonder what 50% of species will go first, and if this action will open new niches for rapid evolution to fill the void ? Or, do we just end with 50% less species. An interesting natural experiment about to unfold that many that read PF will be able to observe. Should we start a pet list of those species we hope will be first to go--I find little use for the mosquito species, especially those that cause human disease.

Rade said:
I find little use for the mosquito species, especially those that cause human disease.

If the anthropocentric basis for global warming is true then all hail the mosquitos and the diseases they spread!:-p

Related to Global Warming alarming species demise

What is global warming?

Global warming is the long-term increase in Earth's average surface temperature. It is primarily caused by human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, which release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere and trap heat.

How does global warming impact species?

Global warming has a variety of impacts on species. It can lead to changes in temperature and precipitation patterns, which can affect the availability of resources and disrupt ecosystems. It can also cause sea level rise, which can drown habitats and force species to migrate. Additionally, global warming can make it more difficult for species to adapt to changing conditions.

Why is the alarming species demise concerning?

The alarming species demise is concerning because it threatens the balance and stability of ecosystems. When species go extinct, it can have a ripple effect on other species and the environment as a whole. It can also have economic and social implications, as many species provide important ecosystem services and resources for human use.

What can be done to address the alarming species demise caused by global warming?

To address the alarming species demise caused by global warming, we need to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change. This can be done through individual actions, such as reducing our carbon footprint, and collective actions, such as implementing policies and technologies that promote sustainability. Additionally, conservation efforts and protecting vulnerable species can also help mitigate the impacts of global warming.

Is it too late to reverse the effects of global warming on species?

While the impacts of global warming on species are already being felt, it is not too late to take action. By reducing our greenhouse gas emissions and implementing sustainable practices, we can slow down the rate of global warming and give species a chance to adapt. It is important to act quickly and collectively to address this issue before it's too late for many species.