Global GR Theorems without Energy Conditions?

In summary, there have been concerns raised about the energy conditions used in proving global results such as the singularity theorem and the positive energy theorem. These conditions allow for physically implausible scenarios and restrict plausible ones. There have been attempts to re-prove these theorems using constraints on the matter Lagrangian instead of the traditional energy conditions, but there are known counterexamples in some cases. A paper has been published on this topic, specifically addressing scalar fields which have caused issues with the energy conditions. There have also been instances where the nonzero cosmological constant has violated energy conditions, leading to the need for reanalysis of certain inferences made from CMB observations.
PAllen
Science Advisor
It has come up a few times in recent threads here that the energy conditions on the stress-energy tensor (weak, null, dominant, etc) traditionally used to prove global results (e.g. the singularity theorem, the positive energy theorem, geodesic motion theorems*) are problematic: they allow more than they should, yet prohibit physically plausible scenarios as well. It strikes me that the original motivation for these was the sense of 'generality' - the you don't need to assume a theory of matter. However, since this has not panned out so well, I ask:

Does anyone know of attempts to re-prove such theorems on the basis of plausible constraints on the matter Lagrangian (or general forms of the Lagrangian) rather than the traditional energy conditions?

----
*There are papers proving rigorously that if you carefully take the limit as a body shrinks in size and mass, that it must follow a geodesic of the background geometry. Such theorems as I've seen must assume an energy condition as part of the proof. I have also seen a paper that shows that the energy conditions is *necessary*. That is, if you do the limiting process without any constraint on T, not only is non-geodesic motion possible, but even spacelike paths are possible. This is not really surprising given the possible properties of exotic matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found a paper on this theme:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.6038

This specifically addresses the issue of scalar fields which are a thorn in the side of the energy conditions.

I think there are some cases where you can't re-prove the theorems because there are known counterexamples. For instance, the nonzero cosmological constant violates some energy conditions, and I think this means that certain inferences made in the past from CMB observations have had to be reanalyzed.

Related to Global GR Theorems without Energy Conditions?

1. What are Global GR Theorems without Energy Conditions?

Global GR Theorems without Energy Conditions are mathematical theorems in the field of general relativity that describe the behavior of matter and energy in the universe without relying on the Energy Conditions, which are assumptions about the properties of matter and energy that are typically used in other GR theorems.

2. How are Global GR Theorems without Energy Conditions different from other GR theorems?

Global GR Theorems without Energy Conditions differ from other GR theorems in that they do not rely on the Energy Conditions, which are often criticized for being too restrictive and not applicable to all scenarios. Instead, these theorems make use of more general assumptions that allow for a wider range of solutions.

3. What are the main implications of Global GR Theorems without Energy Conditions?

The main implications of Global GR Theorems without Energy Conditions are that they provide a more general and flexible framework for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. They also allow for the possibility of scenarios that were previously thought to be impossible under the Energy Conditions.

4. What are some examples of Global GR Theorems without Energy Conditions?

One example of a Global GR Theorem without Energy Conditions is the Hawking-Penrose singularity theorem, which states that under certain conditions, a singularity must form in a collapsing star. Another example is the positive energy theorem, which states that the total energy of a closed universe must be positive.

5. How do Global GR Theorems without Energy Conditions impact our understanding of the universe?

Global GR Theorems without Energy Conditions have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe by allowing for a wider range of solutions to the equations of general relativity. They also challenge our assumptions about the behavior of matter and energy and open up new possibilities for studying and exploring the universe.