Glass marble is dropped down an elevator shaft

In summary, a glass marble is dropped down an elevator shaft and hits a thick glass plate on top of an elevator that is descending at a speed of 2.0 m/s. The marble hits the glass plate 3.0 m below the point from which it was dropped. With an elastic collision, the marble's kinetic energy just before impact is 29.4m J. The velocity of the marble relative to the elevator after impact is (7.7 - 2)m/s. To find the final height, the velocity with respect to ground needs to be calculated.
tandoorichicken
A glass marble is dropped down an elevator shaft and hits a thick glass plate on top of an elevatior that is descending at a speed of 2.0 m/s. The marble hits the glass plate 3.0 m below the point from which it was dropped. If the collision is elastic how high will the marble rise, relative to the point from which it was dropped?

So far, I let the point of impact have potential energy = 0, which would make the top of the fall have a PE of 29.4m J. That would mean that the kinetic energy just before impact would be 29.4m = 0.5mv^2. Solving for v I got 7.7 m/s. All I need help with is figuring out the velocity just after impact, and I think I can take it from there. I thought it was just (7.7 - 2)m/s, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by tandoorichicken
All I need help with is figuring out the velocity just after impact, and I think I can take it from there. I thought it was just (7.7 - 2)m/s, but I'm not sure.

That's the velocity of the marble relative to the elevator after impact. Now find the velocity with repect to ground before finding the final height.

Great job so far! You are correct in thinking that the velocity just after impact would be (7.7 - 2)m/s, as the marble would have lost some of its initial velocity due to the collision with the glass plate.

To continue with the problem, we can use the law of conservation of energy to find the marble's maximum height after the collision. Since the collision is elastic, we know that the total energy (kinetic + potential) before and after the collision will be equal.

Before the collision, the marble had only kinetic energy, which we calculated to be 29.4m J. After the collision, the marble will have both kinetic and potential energy, since it will have some height above the point of impact.

We can set up the following equation to represent the conservation of energy:

29.4m J = 0.5mv^2 + mgh

Where m is the mass of the marble, v is the velocity just after impact, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the maximum height reached by the marble.

Solving for h, we get:

h = (29.4m J - 0.5mv^2) / mg

Plugging in the values we know, we get:

h = (29.4m J - 0.5m(7.7-2)^2) / (m)(9.8 m/s^2)

Simplifying, we get h = 6.12 m. Therefore, the marble will rise 6.12 m above the point from which it was dropped.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work.

Related to Glass marble is dropped down an elevator shaft

1. What factors affect the speed of the glass marble as it falls down the elevator shaft?

The speed of the glass marble is affected by the gravitational force of the Earth, the mass of the marble, and air resistance. The gravitational force pulls the marble towards the center of the Earth, causing it to accelerate. The mass of the marble also affects its acceleration, with heavier marbles falling faster. Air resistance, or the force of air pushing against the marble as it falls, can also impact the speed of the marble.

2. How does the height of the elevator shaft affect the time it takes for the glass marble to reach the bottom?

The height of the elevator shaft does not affect the time it takes for the glass marble to reach the bottom. According to the equation for motion under constant acceleration, the time it takes for an object to fall is only affected by the acceleration due to gravity and the initial velocity of the object. The height of the elevator shaft does not factor into this equation.

3. What is the terminal velocity of the glass marble as it falls down the elevator shaft?

The terminal velocity of the glass marble is the maximum speed it can reach as it falls due to the balance of gravitational force and air resistance. This can vary depending on the shape, size, and weight of the marble, as well as the air density and temperature. In most cases, the terminal velocity of a glass marble in air is around 9.8 meters per second, which is the same as the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the glass marble ever stop or reverse direction as it falls down the elevator shaft?

Assuming the elevator shaft is completely enclosed and the marble does not hit any obstacles, the marble will continue to fall until it reaches the bottom. This is due to the constant acceleration of gravity pulling the marble towards the center of the Earth. The marble cannot stop or reverse direction unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How does the shape of the glass marble affect its motion as it falls down the elevator shaft?

The shape of the glass marble can affect its motion as it falls down the elevator shaft by changing its air resistance. A more streamlined shape will experience less air resistance and fall faster than a less streamlined shape with the same mass and size. However, the shape of the marble does not affect its acceleration due to gravity, as this is solely determined by its mass and the gravitational force of the Earth.