Given potential, ask plane charge distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the charge distribution on the xy-plane and its relationship with the potential above the plane. The potential is periodic in x and does not depend on y, leading to questions about the expected charge distribution. The problem is not related to Fourier transformations and may involve a non-uniform distribution of charge on a finite circle. The conversation also explores the possibility of using a charge distribution to produce the electric field and suggests a qualitative approach for finding the charge distribution.
Tekk

Homework Statement

All charges in space are distributed on the xy-plane. The potential above the plane is known as
[itex]\phi = \phi_0 exp(-kz) cos(kx)[/itex]

What's the charge distribution on xy-plane?

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec E =- grad(\phi)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying the relationship between [itex]\vec E[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex], I have found:

[itex]E_x = k \phi_0 exp(-kz) sin(kx)[/itex]
[itex]E_z = k \phi_0 exp(-kz) cos(kx)[/itex]

I know that a charge distribution [itex]\sigma_z = \frac{E_z}{2\pi}[/itex] would produce [itex]E_z[/itex]. But how about [itex]E_x[/itex]?
I am thinking of a superposition of [itex]\sigma_z[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_x[/itex] to produce [itex]\vec E[/itex]. So the question now is to find [itex]\sigma_x[/itex]: what kind of charge distribution on the plane would produce [itex]E_x = k \phi_0 exp(-kz) sin(kx)[/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how a constant charge density would lead to the cosine term (or even the exponential).

Your potential is periodic in x and does not depend on y, what do you expect for the charge distribution?
Does this problem appear in the context of Fourier transformations?

mfb said:
I don't see how a constant charge density would lead to the cosine term (or even the exponential).

Your potential is periodic in x and does not depend on y, what do you expect for the charge distribution?
Does this problem appear in the context of Fourier transformations?

No, the problem is not appeared in the context of Fourier transformation. It is the problem 31(c) from Chapter 2: Electric Potential of Purcell 2ed E&M textbook. Purcell asks us to describe the charge distribution on the non-conducting flat sheet.

I neither see how a charge distribution would lead to an exponential decay along the z-axis. But what if the charge is not uniformly distributed in the plane? Specifically, let the charge only distributed on a finite circle, then the electric field at least decay along the z-axis. My reason is: in the very far, we could treat this circle as a point charge, so the electric field it produce would decay.

If we temporary don't care the electrical field far away and focus only on the location very near to the xy-plane, in that case, z approaches to zero, [itex]E_z = kϕ_0cos(kx)[/itex]. I can find a charge distribution [itex]\sigma_z = \frac{E_z}{2\pi} = \frac{kϕ_0}{2\pi}cos(kx)[/itex] to produce [itex]E_z[/itex], at least when z is very small. But I have no idea how to find [itex]\sigma_x[/itex] to produce [itex]E_x[/itex]. Do you have any suggestion. A qualitative approach is welcome.

Tekk said:
so the electric field it produce would decay.
But not exponentially.
The approach with very small z could work. Can you calculate Ez for all z based on this charge distribution?

I think if one fits, the other one will fit as well, so I would not worry about Ex for now.

Related to Given potential, ask plane charge distribution

1. What is the meaning of "given potential" in this context?

In this context, "given potential" refers to a specific electric potential, which is a measure of the amount of electrical energy per unit charge at a given point in space.

2. How is the plane charge distribution related to the given potential?

The plane charge distribution is a way of representing the distribution of electric charges on a flat surface, such as a metal plate or a semiconductor. The given potential is used to calculate the charge density on the surface, which determines the distribution of charges.

3. Can you explain the concept of a "plane" charge distribution?

A plane charge distribution is a simplified model used to analyze the behavior of electric charges on a flat surface. It assumes that the charge density is constant on the surface and that the surface is infinitely large.

4. How is the electric potential calculated for a given plane charge distribution?

The electric potential is calculated by solving the Laplace equation, which relates the potential to the charge density. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as integration or by using numerical methods.

5. What are the applications of studying plane charge distributions?

Plane charge distributions are commonly used in the analysis of electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors. They are also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields and can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as lightning strikes and plasma physics.