Given a current, calculate the charge distribution

Remember that ##\vec{J}## depends on ##r## and ##\theta## as well as ##\phi##.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the charge distribution of a ring with a current density that depends on the azimuthal angle in spherical coordinates. The continuity equation is used, leading to an expression for the charge density that includes a time dependence and an arbitrary function. The final result shows that the charge density will grow as long as the current flows.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A ring of radius R has a current density ##\vec J=J(r, \theta) \sin \phi \hat \phi## where phi is the azimuthal angle in spherical coordinates. Calculate the charge distribution considering that it was initially null.

Homework Equations

Not sure. Maybe ##\nabla \cdot \vec J + \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=0##.
The divergence theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

So my idea was to maybe use the continuity equation that I wrote above. From it, I am not sure what to do. Maybe integrate in space so that I can use the divergence theorem, in other words I can reach that ##\int _S \vec J \cdot d\vec A + \int \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}dV=0##. But I am stuck there because I don't know how to calculate ##\vec J \cdot d\vec A##.

Then my other idea is to integrate the continuity equation with respect to time, but again I'm not sure how to do this...
I'd appreciate a little push in the right direction, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what "ring of radius R" means. Maybe it's a ring as shown below. Anyway, I don't think R will play a role.

My guess is that they want you to come up with an expression for ##\rho(r, \theta, \phi, t)##. The continuity equation seems like a good approach. What do you get explicitly for ##\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}## by evaluating the divergence of ##\vec{J}##?

Attachments

• Ring current.png
    Ring current.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 395
Likes fluidistic
TSny said:
I'm not sure what "ring of radius R" means. Maybe it's a ring as shown below. Anyway, I don't think R will play a role.

My guess is that they want you to come up with an expression for ##\rho(r, \theta, \phi, t)##. The continuity equation seems like a good approach. What do you get explicitly for ##\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}## by evaluating the divergence of ##\vec{J}##?
Yes that's exactly it and what they ask for.
I took the divergence in spherical coordinates, I reached ##\nabla \cdot \vec J = J(r, \theta ) \frac{\cot \theta}{r}=-\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}##.
That would make ##\rho = - \frac{J(r,\theta) \cot (\theta ) t}{r} + f(r, \theta)## where f is an arbitrary function appearing when I integrated ##\partial \rho##... The result doesn't look right to me, especially this dependence on t, which seems to grow up infinitely.

I don't get your expression for the divergence. Make sure to distinguish ##\theta## from ##\phi##.

At t = 0 you want ##\rho## to be zero everywhere.

As long as this peculiar current flows, the charge density will grow (positive in some places and negative in others).

TSny said:
I don't get your expression for the divergence. Make sure to distinguish ##\theta## from ##\phi##.

At t = 0 you want ##\rho## to be zero everywhere.

As long as this peculiar current flows, the charge density will grow (positive in some places and negative in others).
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec J ={1 \over r^2}{\partial \left( r^2 J_r \right) \over \partial r}
+ {1 \over r\sin\theta}{\partial \over \partial \theta} \left( J_\theta\sin\theta \right)
+ {1 \over r\sin\theta}{\partial J_\phi \over \partial \phi}[/tex] but ##J_r=J_\theta=0## because ##\vec J = J_\phi \hat \phi##. I found that divergence formula in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_in_cylindrical_and_spherical_coordinates, and the convention used is theta is zenithal while phi is azimuthal, same convention that I use.

How do you get a cotangent of theta out of this? Shoudn't the numerator end up with a cosine of phi instead of a cosine of theta?

Likes fluidistic
TSny said:
How do you get a cotangent of theta out of this? Shoudn't the numerator end up with a cosine of phi instead of a cosine of theta?
My bad, you are correct. I reach ##\rho = - J(r, \theta ) \frac{\cos \phi}{r\sin \theta}t##.

That looks correct.

Likes fluidistic

Related to Given a current, calculate the charge distribution

1. What is meant by "given a current"?

When we say "given a current", it means we are given information about the flow of electric charge through a certain point in a circuit or system. This could be in the form of a numerical value for the current or a mathematical expression describing its behavior.

2. How do we calculate the charge distribution?

The charge distribution can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. We can also use Kirchhoff's Laws, which describe the conservation of charge and energy in a circuit, to calculate the charge distribution.

3. What factors affect the charge distribution in a circuit?

The charge distribution in a circuit is affected by the current, voltage, and resistance of the components in the circuit. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and the properties of the materials used in the circuit.

4. How can we apply this concept in real-life situations?

The concept of calculating charge distribution is commonly used in electrical engineering and physics to design and analyze circuits and systems. It can also be applied in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and renewable energy to optimize the flow of electric charge and improve efficiency.

5. What are the limitations of calculating charge distribution?

Calculating charge distribution assumes ideal conditions and does not account for factors such as non-linear behavior of components, fluctuations in voltage and current, and external interference. It also assumes a steady-state condition, meaning the circuit has reached a stable operating point. In reality, these limitations may affect the accuracy of the calculated charge distribution.