GFT & Braid Group: Exploring Connections in n-Dimensional Manifolds

• Thread starter atyy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, GFT (Group Field Theory) is a theory used to describe the dynamics of a discretized manifold using group elements assigned to each face of the simplex. The "field" in this theory is a complex valued function acting on these group elements. By gluing together copies of (n-1)-simplices, one can form n-dimensional simplices. The resulting theory describes the dynamics of an n-dimensional manifold in terms of its constituent (n-1)-simplices. The connection with the braid proposal is that the group G used to label the faces of the simplices can be any group, including the braid group. This means that a GFT action for 2-simplices with edges labeled by representations of
atyy
Science Advisor
space_cadet said:
In GFT the basic building blocks are (n-1)-simplices (a 0-simplex is a point, a 1-simplex is a line-segment, 2-simplex is a triangle, 3-simplex is a tetrahedron ... and so on), which are glued together to form a simplicial complex (a discretized manifold), whose dynamics is given in terms of group elements assigned to each of the n faces of the (n-1)-simplex (see e.g. arXiv:0710.3276v1) The "field" is then taken to be a complex valued functions acting on these (n+1) group elements:
$$ \phi(g_1, g_2, \ldots, g_{n}) : G^n \rightarrow \mathbb{C} $$
Now, given (n+1) copies of a (n-1)-simplex, one can glue these together along their respective faces to form a n-simplex, e.g. for n=3, given four triangles (a triangle is a 2-simplex), one can glue them together along their edges to form a tetrahedron (which is a 3-simplex). One can write down an action for such a theory (see reference above) and explicitly compute various observable quantities. The resulting theory describes the dynamics of an n-dimensional manifold in terms of its constituent (n-1)-simplices.

The connection with the braid proposal arises from the observation that, a priori, there is no restriction on the form of the group G which is used to label faces of the simplices. G could be SU(2), SL(2,C) or even SL(2,Z) (the modular group) or B_3 (the three-stranded braid group). For instance, if one can write down a GFT action for 2-simplices, with edges labeled by representations of B_3, such an action would describe the dynamics of a manifold constructed by gluing the edges of triangles using 3-strand braids. This is the essence of the relationship I see between GFTs and the braid model. It may or may not turn out to technically feasible.

If you have further questions a new thread might be best, since this reply already takes this thread off-topic!

Thanks! I started a new thread for new questions.

Let me start with one I don't even know makes sense: are there counterparts to the braid group for higher dimensional objects like membranes?

Physics news on Phys.org
atyy said:
Thanks! I started a new thread for new questions.

Let me start with one I don't even know makes sense: are there counterparts to the braid group for higher dimensional objects like membranes?

Yes, braiding is an effect of codimension-2 embeddings. In 3 dimensions one needs 1D objects which are attached to surfaces (points in the surfaces).
So, the generalization to n-dimensional branes: the branes have to be embedded in a n+2 dimensional space.
But I'm not shure about the relations in this higher-dimensional braid group. The relations of the 3D braid group should go over the higher-dim case but there must be additional relations.
In case of surfaces (or membranes( you can check Lee Rudolph's
Braided surfaces and Seifert ribbons for closed braids Comment. Math. Helv. 59 (1983), 1-37.
I know also of a book (Saito?) about higher-dim braids.

Related to GFT & Braid Group: Exploring Connections in n-Dimensional Manifolds

1. What is GFT?

GFT stands for Group Field Theory. It is a mathematical framework that combines elements of group theory, quantum field theory, and graph theory to study quantum gravity in n-dimensional spacetimes. It is a promising approach to understanding the fundamental nature of the universe at a microscopic level.

2. What is the Braid Group?

The Braid Group is a mathematical group that describes the possible ways in which strands can be intertwined or braided in a given number of dimensions. It has applications in topology, knot theory, and theoretical physics, and is closely related to the GFT approach to quantum gravity.

3. What is the connection between GFT and the Braid Group?

The GFT approach to quantum gravity relies on the use of Feynman diagrams to represent the interaction of particles in spacetime. These diagrams can be interpreted as braids in higher dimensions, and the Braid Group provides a mathematical framework for studying and manipulating these diagrams. This allows for a deeper understanding of the quantum nature of spacetime.

4. What is the significance of exploring connections in n-dimensional manifolds?

N-dimensional manifolds are mathematical spaces that have specific properties, such as curvature and dimensionality. By exploring connections in these manifolds, we can gain a better understanding of the underlying structure of the universe and potentially uncover new insights into the nature of reality. This can lead to advances in fields such as physics, mathematics, and computer science.

5. How is GFT & Braid Group research being applied in practical applications?

While the GFT approach and the Braid Group are still in their early stages of development, they have the potential to greatly impact our understanding of the universe and lead to practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cosmology. By integrating these theories into our understanding of the physical world, we may be able to make advancements in technology and solve complex problems that were previously thought to be unsolvable.