Getting to Know Me: A Retired Mathematician's Introduction to Physics Forums

• Thread starter ChinleShale
  • Start date
In summary, "Getting to Know Me: A Retired Mathematician's Introduction to Physics Forums" is a personal account of a retired mathematician's journey into the world of Physics Forums. The author shares their initial hesitation and eventual fascination with the platform, highlighting the diverse community and valuable resources available for discussion and learning in the field of physics. Through their experiences, the author emphasizes the importance of continuous learning and the unique opportunities offered by online forums like Physics Forums.
ChinleShale
How did you find PF?
At random on the web
Hello Physics Forums

I have just signed up for Physics Forums and made one post which is apparently under moderator scrutiny - whatever that means. I am a retired and have a Doctorate in Pure Mathematics. For me Joining these Forums is an experiment in on line teaching and also a way to understand what young people are interested in. I have lived most of my life in New York City, have two grown children, and if not for this pandemic would be on the road discovering America. I come from a family of Biologists and am the only math person in the family. I am interested in most things so don't plan to focus only on Mathematics.

Likes berkeman and etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your post got flagged as a copy of something posted on a blog somewhere. In general, we don't encourage people to repost stuff from other websites as it can be construed as online plagiarism.

I approved it now so you should see in the thread you posted.

jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

Your post got flagged as a copy of something posted on a blog somewhere. In general, we don't encourage people to repost stuff from other websites as it can be construed as online plagiarism.

I approved it now so you should see in the thread you posted.
I own this textbook and have had it for many years. I used it as a graduate student. Just so I get this right from the beginning - how is referencing a textbook an example of plagiarism? Or was the flag because I cut and pasted this from an online version of the book rather than retyping it by hand from the hard copy?

We have to be careful about the length of copyrighted material that is posted, in order to comply with Fair Use copyright regulations. Maybe it was the length of the material that you posted? I don't know. Seems like an okay post to me, but I'm not the expert on this.

Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Likes etotheipi