Getting the Arc Length Function

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of Arc Length Function and its application in solving problems involving arc length of a curve. The speaker is confused about how to find the function and is seeking clarification from their professor and textbook. They also mention struggling with a specific homework problem and making a mistake in their integration. They ask for confirmation that the general method is to substitute 'u' for 't' in the original function and integrate with respect to 'u', and make a secondary substitution if necessary.
dietcookie
Getting the "Arc Length Function"

Homework Statement

I have two problems scanned, one is an in class example and one is from the homework. The book uses the standard arc length of a curve equation to get the answers. Later in the same chapter they introduce the Arc Length Function, using 's' for the parameter.

My professor instructed us to use the normal equation but also to find s(t). The in-class example was really easy, as we only had to integrate a constant. In the HW example, when I setup the integral I end up having to do a substitution, when I already did a substitution going from r(t) to r(u). My understanding is that going from r(t) to r(u) is not a real substitution, but merely a change of dummy variables. Anyways I tried it on the HW problem and once I get my s(t), I get zero for my length if I evaluate it over the given interval.

I'm afraid I didn't get a clear explanation on how to find the arc length function and the book isn't much help either. Thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The one I'm having issues is labeled #3 Sec 12.5, where I left it unevaluated.

Attachments

• HW.jpg
    HW.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 426
  • Class Example.jpg
    Class Example.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org

See attachment- there were two small errors. If the corrections don't make sense, let me know.

Attachments

• corrected.JPG
    corrected.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 423

Thanks, basic integration mistake!

Another basic question, so the general idea is to stick a 'u' where there is a 't' in the original function and integrate with respect to 'u', and make a secondary substitution as I did if it's needed?

Related to Getting the Arc Length Function

What is the arc length function?

The arc length function is a mathematical function that describes the length of a curve or line segment. It is commonly denoted as s(t) and represents the distance traveled along the curve from a starting point to a given point on the curve.

How is the arc length function calculated?

The arc length function is calculated using a mathematical formula known as the arc length formula. This formula takes into account the differential element of the curve and integrates it over the given interval. The resulting value is the arc length of the curve.

What is the importance of the arc length function?

The arc length function is important in mathematics and physics as it allows for the precise measurement of curves and line segments. It is also used in various applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a particle along a curved path or determining the length of a wire needed for a specific shape.

What are some real-world examples of the arc length function?

The arc length function is used in various fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, architects use it to determine the length of a curved wall, engineers use it to calculate the length of a curved road or bridge, and physicists use it to study the motion of particles along a curved path.

How is the arc length function related to the derivative?

The arc length function is the integral of the derivative of a curve. In other words, the derivative of the arc length function is equal to the differential element of the curve. This relationship is important in calculus and is used to solve various problems related to curves and line segments.