Getting Started with XPS Peak Fitting: Questions and Answers

In summary, the speaker is seeking guidance on fitting XPS peaks for an environmental measurement. They have used resources such as a website and a manual, but still have doubts about the process. Specifically, they ask how to determine if an element is present in the sample and if comparing the difference between 2p1/2 and 2p3/2 peaks is an accurate way to do so. The expert advises comparing the peaks to literature values, as well as considering the overall spectrum and using other techniques for confirmation. They also encourage seeking help from other experts and consulting additional resources.
Montserrat Crespo
Hi, guys.

I'm beginning to fit XPS peaks from a environmental measurement but, as I'm unfamiliar with the exact process I have a lot of doubts. I have solved some of them using the info in http://xpssimplified.com/periodictable.php and in the XPS manual from Moulder and Stickle but I'm not sure if I'm making it right.

The question is: how do I know if in the sample is present an element? I mean, I know I should check for the difference between 2p1/2 and 2p3/2, por example, but this is the accurate way to make it? If the difference is approximately the same that is presented in the literature but the ratio is not, is still the element there? What else should I look for?

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

As a scientist who has experience with fitting XPS peaks, I can offer some guidance on your questions. First of all, congratulations on taking on this project and seeking out resources to help you with the process. It's always important to make sure you fully understand the techniques and methods you are using.

To answer your first question, the accurate way to determine if an element is present in your sample is by comparing the binding energy of the 2p1/2 and 2p3/2 peaks to the literature values. As you mentioned, the difference between these two peaks should be consistent with the literature values for that element. However, it's important to note that the ratio between the two peaks can also vary depending on factors such as sample preparation and instrument calibration. Therefore, it's best to compare the overall shape and position of the peaks to the literature values as well.

In addition to comparing the peaks to literature values, you should also look at the overall spectrum to see if there are any other peaks present that correspond to the element you are looking for. For example, if you are looking for the presence of carbon, you would expect to see peaks at 284 eV for C1s and 532 eV for O1s. If these peaks are not present, it may indicate that the element is not present in your sample.

It's also important to keep in mind that XPS is a surface-sensitive technique, so the results you obtain may not accurately represent the bulk composition of your sample. Therefore, it's always a good idea to confirm your findings with other techniques, such as SEM-EDX or X-ray diffraction.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you have any further doubts or concerns, don't hesitate to consult with other experts in the field or refer to additional resources. Good luck with your XPS analysis!

Related to Getting Started with XPS Peak Fitting: Questions and Answers

1. What is XPS peak fitting?

XPS peak fitting is a technique used in X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) to analyze the peaks and their corresponding components in a spectrum. This helps in identifying the chemical composition and electronic properties of a material.

2. How do I get started with XPS peak fitting?

To get started with XPS peak fitting, you will need to have a basic understanding of XPS and its principles. You will also need to have a software program that allows for peak fitting analysis. Familiarize yourself with the software and its features, and then practice by analyzing known spectra to gain proficiency in peak fitting.

3. What are the key factors to consider in XPS peak fitting?

There are several key factors to consider in XPS peak fitting, including the energy resolution of the XPS instrument, the background subtraction method, the peak shape function, and the number of peaks to be included in the fit. It is also important to carefully select the binding energy range and ensure that the peaks are well-resolved and distinguishable.

4. What are some common challenges in XPS peak fitting?

One of the most common challenges in XPS peak fitting is dealing with overlapping peaks, which can make it difficult to accurately assign and quantify the components. Other challenges include background subtraction errors, peak shape distortions, and fitting multiple peaks with similar energies. It is important to carefully optimize the fitting parameters and to use multiple fitting methods to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any limitations to XPS peak fitting?

Like any analytical technique, XPS peak fitting also has its limitations. It may not be suitable for highly complex materials with overlapping or closely spaced peaks, and it may not be able to accurately identify all elements present in a sample. Additionally, the sensitivity of XPS may be affected by surface contamination or inhomogeneities in the sample. It is important to carefully consider these limitations and use complementary techniques for a more comprehensive analysis.