Getting high speed from a slow moving object.

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of using a weight to turn a generator shaft at high speeds while adhering to certain limitations. The idea of using gears is suggested, but it is deemed impractical due to the size of the gears needed. The possibility of using the constant pressure of the weight to generate enough torque is also mentioned, along with the limitations of using pulleys, gears, and belts. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that there may be a simple solution, but it has not yet been found.
craigo
I am trying to figure a way to turn an automobile type generator shaft at realtively high speed (1,000 - 2,000 rpm) using a weight, say 250 lbs., on a pole. The catch is the weight can only drop at about 1 foot per hour. I thought it could be done using gears, such as rack and pinion. A gear on the generator (attached to the weight) would ride down a track on the pole, thus turning the generator as the weight dropped. Obviously, that wouldn't be fast enough. Modifying the gearing may be theoretically possible, but in reality the small gear would be too small to work with such a weight. And the large gear would have to be very large. I'm trying to keep this on the small side.
I believe it can be done using the weight. Somehow the constant pressure of the weight should be able to generate enough torque(?) to raise the speed. Not unlike they way we would stand on our bike pedals to help climb a hill. Perhaps not unlike the child's top that has a push-down screw mechanism that causes it to spin faster as more effort/weight is pushed upon it.
I'm not locked into pulleys, gears, belts or whatever. Those are just my current lines of thought. My only limitations are: that the weight must fall about 1 foot per hour; I want to create a reasonable amount of electricity; and I want to keep the whole thing (except the weight and the pole) within about 8-10 cubic feet.

There must be a simple solution that I'm missing. But my brain is starting to hurt, and I need some help. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please note: the law of conservation of energy applies. Lowering a 250 lb weight 1 foot per hour can generate a maximum of 0.1 watts (PE=mgh). That's why you are having so much trouble making this device. It can't work.

I understand your goal of wanting to generate high speed from a slow-moving object. However, I must caution that there are several factors to consider in this scenario.

Firstly, the amount of energy required to lift a 250 lbs weight at a rate of 1 foot per hour is significant. This means that the weight will have to fall a great distance in order to generate enough energy to turn the generator at 1,000-2,000 rpm. This may not be feasible or practical in terms of space and safety.

Secondly, the use of gears and other mechanical systems to increase the speed may not be efficient. The energy loss from friction and other factors may outweigh the energy gained from the weight. Additionally, as you mentioned, modifying the gearing may not be feasible due to the size limitations.

I suggest considering alternative methods of energy generation such as using renewable resources like solar or wind power. These methods are more efficient and do not require such a large and potentially dangerous weight to generate electricity. Additionally, they can be easily scaled to fit within your size limitations.

In conclusion, while your idea of using a weight to generate high speed may seem simple, it may not be the most practical or efficient solution. I encourage you to explore other options and consult with experts in the field of renewable energy. Good luck with your project.

Related to Getting high speed from a slow moving object.

1. How can we increase the speed of a slow moving object?

There are several ways to increase the speed of a slow moving object. One method is to reduce the object's air resistance by making it more aerodynamic. Another way is to apply a force to the object, such as pushing or pulling it. Additionally, changing the object's mass or the surface it is moving on can also affect its speed.

2. Can we use technology to enhance the speed of a slow moving object?

Yes, technology can be used to increase the speed of a slow moving object. For example, adding a motor or engine to the object can provide it with additional power and speed. Other technological advancements, such as using high-performance materials or designing more efficient propulsion systems, can also contribute to increasing the object's speed.

3. What role does friction play in the speed of a slow moving object?

Friction can have a significant impact on the speed of a slow moving object. Friction is a force that opposes motion, so the higher the friction, the slower the object will move. To increase the speed of a slow moving object, it is important to reduce the amount of friction acting on it, whether by using lubricants, smoothing out the surface, or using friction-reducing materials.

4. Is it possible to achieve high speed from a slow moving object without compromising safety?

Yes, it is possible to increase the speed of a slow moving object without sacrificing safety. This can be achieved by carefully considering the design and materials used, as well as implementing safety features such as brakes or stability controls. It is important to prioritize safety when attempting to increase the speed of any object.

5. How does the size and shape of an object affect its speed?

The size and shape of an object can have a significant impact on its speed. Generally, smaller and more streamlined objects will have less air resistance and therefore can achieve higher speeds. However, the mass of the object also plays a role, as a heavier object may require more force to accelerate. Ultimately, the size and shape of an object must be carefully considered when trying to increase its speed.