Getting g such that del dot g = f (given)

• Thread starter quantoshake11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Del Dot
In summary, this question asks what conditions must be met in order to find a function that satisfies a given equation. However, the equation in question is not easily solved, and it may require borrowing results from other disciplines in order to solve it.
quantoshake11
Hi, it's not quite a homework question, altought this question came up to mind when i was trying to solve a homework problem. sorry if this shouldn't be here...
The thing is this, what are the conditions i should impose to f: R^n -> R in order to be able to find a g, such that [divergence of g = f] ?
I'm not sure how to handle this, since it seems to involve some sort of differential equation (does it?) or at least the existence of an integral for f.. well, i don't really need to get the g, i just need to know if it exists to solve this problem the way i want to, which is to transform a volume integral into a surface integral (why would somebody want a divergence if not? :P)
thanks, and mods: please move the post if this belongs to the homework category..

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, there is no unique g satisfying that equation. Ie., suppose f(x, y, z) = x + y + z.

Then g1(x, y, z) = (z + C1, z + C2, z(x + y) + z2/2 + C3) and g2(x, y, z) = (x2/2 + D1, y2/2 + D2, z2/2 + D3) both satisfy the equation, but are not equivalent.

Last edited:
well, as i said i only need to prove the existence of such a function (at least one)

Wouldn't this work?

Let all components of g equal zero, except for the first component, where the first component is any antiderivative of f with respect to the variable corresponding to the first component, taking the other variables as constants?

EXAMPLE:

f(x,y,z) = x + 2y + zexp(z)

g = ( (1/2)x^2 + x(2y + zexp(z)) + C, 0, 0)

The the divergence of g is:

x + 2y + zexp(z) = f(x,y,z).

You may not always get an elementary function this way, but it is certainly a *function*.

i think that may work.. in which case f would have to have an integral with respect to at least one of the variables? .. would a differentiable f be enough?
it kinda confuses me, since the functions don't always have an antiderivative.. I'm going to think about it, though that answer feels a bit odd, nevertheless it works for a lot of functions (maybe all of them, as you said it would still be a *function*).
by the way, if it helps, f = J dot E where J is the current and E an electric field. Both continuous and differentiable functions R^n -> R^n

Last edited:
oh wait.. i actually need that function to make a pass from the volume integral to the surface one using the divergence theorem... so g would need to be bounded, and C^1.. mmm... dammit, I'm getting confused again.. v.v I'm going for a walk

I would say that most functions have antiderivatives. Conspicuous counterexamples come to mind, but they're a little contrived.

Whether or not the antiderivative can be expressed in terms of elementary functions or not... now that's another story. For instance,

f(x) = exp(x^2)

Has infinitely many antiderivatives: F(x) + C, for any C, where F(x) = S f(x) dx

It just so happens that you can't write F(x) using what are called "elementary functions". That doesn't mean that F(x) doesn't define a perfectly good function.

and i guess that if the function is made out of antiderivatives, they're continuosly differentiable themselves.. if that's correct then it's solved :D

If n = 3, you could borrow a result from electrostatics:

Suppose you want to find [itex]\vec E[/itex] such that [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec E = \rho[/itex]. Let
[tex]V(\vec r) = \frac{1}{4\pi} \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\rho(\vec r')}{\lvert \vec r - \vec r' \rvert} \,d^3 \vec r',[/tex]
and take [itex]\vec E = -\nabla V[/itex]. This will also guarantee that [itex]\nabla \times \vec E = 0[/itex].

I don't know if a similar approach works in other dimensions.

Related to Getting g such that del dot g = f (given)

1. What does "del dot g" mean in this context?

"Del dot g" is a mathematical notation for the divergence of a vector field g. It represents the flow of the vector field out of a given point.

2. What is the significance of "del dot g = f" in this scenario?

In this scenario, "del dot g = f" means that the divergence of the vector field g is equal to the given function f. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of the vector field and its interactions with other variables.

3. How can one find g such that del dot g = f?

To find g in this scenario, you can use the gradient theorem, which states that the gradient of a scalar function is equal to the divergence of its vector potential. This can be used to solve for g using mathematical techniques such as integration and differentiation.

4. Can del dot g = f hold true for all values of g and f?

No, del dot g = f may not hold true for all values of g and f. There may be certain constraints or conditions that need to be met for this equation to hold true. Additionally, the solution for g may not exist for all given functions f.

5. What are some real-world applications of "del dot g = f"?

The equation "del dot g = f" has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and other physical phenomena. It is also used in solving problems related to heat transfer, elasticity, and weather forecasting, among others.