Geting the mass of a karate punch.

• Thread starter LuckyCharms145
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of measuring the momentum transferred by a punch to determine its force. The speaker suggests using a "ballistic" measurement technique, involving a punch ball hung from the ceiling and calculating the amplitude of the swing. They also mention the concept of "cardiac plexus" in relation to the stopping power of a punch.
LuckyCharms145
Hello I've been looking all over the internet for the answer to this but can't find it. I saw some wires that you hook up to anything and it measures the mass but how can i do something that won't cost me 300 dollars? A quick easy thought was to get a weighing scale and punch it but I just doubt it, besides my scale is dirty and I dare not hit that thing lol. I don't know if this helps but its for a science project that I am doing, my question is at what velocity & mass can my punch stop a human heart.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "mass" of a karate punch doesn't make sense. Mass is a unit of matter. Probably you mean the amount of momentum that you transfer to the target with a punch. The simplest way I can think of is a "ballistic" measurement, which is the technique that is used to know the impulse transfer of a bullet hitting its target. You essentially hang up a kind of punch ball to the ceiling and when it hangs still, you hit it, and try to determine the amplitude of the swing (for instance, the angle the rope maximally makes with the vertical line). From the length of the rope and the weight of the punchball, one can calculate the transferred momentum in the punch.

There will probably be an optimum weight for the "ballistic bag," as well as an optimum depth at which to strike it. You could measure the angle of the bag's displacement over a reasonable number of tries to find a likely maximum force (throwing out any skewed results). Even a comparatively small impulse can register as a large one, or vice versa, if you are not consistent with your punches.

You may want to look up "cardiac plexus."

Related to Geting the mass of a karate punch.

1. How do you measure the mass of a karate punch?

The mass of a karate punch can be measured by using a force plate or a dynamometer, which can measure the force of the punch. By measuring the force and knowing the acceleration of the punch, the mass can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma).

2. Are there any factors that can affect the mass of a karate punch?

Yes, the mass of a karate punch can be affected by various factors such as the size and strength of the person throwing the punch, the speed and acceleration of the punch, and the technique used. Additionally, the density of the punching surface can also have an impact on the mass of the punch.

3. How does the mass of a karate punch compare to other types of punches?

The mass of a karate punch can vary greatly depending on the individual throwing the punch and the technique used. However, on average, a karate punch may have a slightly higher mass compared to other types of punches, as karate focuses on using the entire body to generate power and force behind the punch.

4. Can the mass of a karate punch be increased through training?

Yes, the mass of a karate punch can be increased through proper training and conditioning. By increasing muscle mass and strength, as well as perfecting technique and improving speed and acceleration, the mass of a karate punch can be increased over time.

5. Is it important to know the mass of a karate punch?

Yes, knowing the mass of a karate punch can be important for various reasons. It can help in understanding the force and impact of the punch, as well as in training and improving technique. It can also be useful for martial artists to compare their punch strength to others and track their progress over time.