Geostationary satellite orbit radius as a multiple of Earth radius.

In summary: So[tex]\eta = \sqrt[3]{{\frac{{4G\rho \pi }}{{3\omega ^2 }}}[/tex]produces[tex]\eta = \sqrt[3]{{\frac{{4G\rho \pi }}{{3\omega ^2 }}}[/tex]In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the orbital radius of a satellite in terms of the Earth's radius and angular frequency of rotation. The solution involves using the centripetal and gravitational force equations, as well as incorporating the Earth's density and radius. The conversation also mentions using LaTeX for equations, and suggests trying a different browser if it is not working on the current one.
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

Okay, so the question seems really simple so I don't know what I'm missing

A satellite orbits at a fixed point above the Earth's equator. Assuming the Earth has uniform
density, radius R, and angular frequency of rotation, omega
Find an expression for eta, such that the orbital radius of the satellite is expressed as eta R

Homework Equations

Below

The Attempt at a Solution

Centripetal force= gravitational force

mr(omega)^2=GMm/r^2
r^3=GM/(omega)^2
But I honestly have no idea how to incorporate the Eaths radius. Every time I try it cancels.

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
When calculating mass of the Earth you can use density and radius of the Earth so it doesn't cancel out.

Guneykan Ozgul said:
When calculating mass of the Earth you can use density and radius of the Earth so it doesn't cancel out.
Absolute star! Thank you!

Guneykan Ozgul said:
Sorry - I've just had a thought. That will give me an expression in terms of R^3, not R. This produces the same problem as I had before

I don't understand the problem exactly. Any function dependent on R is actually an expression in terms of R so if you obtain a term with R^3 (you should) don't worry because it means that radius of the sattelite is not dependent on R linearly .

There are two different radii involved: One is the radius of the Earth and the other the radius of the orbit. The volume is calculated using the Earth radius R, while the satellite orbit is a multiple of R. Replace the radius in your satellite force balance with ##\eta R##.

Can you show more details of your workings?

Ohh, sorry I did not see the part that asks you to write the sattalite radius as eta R. I think you should use @gneill 's argument.

gneill said:
There are two different radii involved: One is the radius of the Earth and the other the radius of the orbit. The volume is calculated using the Earth radius R, while the satellite orbit is a multiple of R. Replace the radius in your satellite force balance with ##\eta R##.

Can you show more details of your workings?
Ah okay - I think I've got it now. Thank you. Of course- would you like me to upload a photo of my working? (For some reason Latex doesn't work on my computer)

Physgeek64 said:
Ah okay - I think I've got it now. Thank you. Of course- would you like me to upload a photo of my working? (For some reason Latex doesn't work on my computer)
You can upload a photo if it's easily legible.
What machine/browser are you using?

gneill said:
You can upload a photo if it's easily legible.
What machine/browser are you using?
How do I inset a photo? I can't see the button- The only one i can find is the one requiring a URL

A macbook air and safari

You can UPLOAD an image file. Check out the UPLOAD button at the bottom right of the reply edit panel.

Ah. I'm not familiar with safari, so I can't help you there.

gneill said:
You can UPLOAD an image file. Check out the UPLOAD button at the bottom right of the reply edit panel.

Ah. I'm not familiar with safari, so I can't help you there.

Thank you- please excuse my handwriting.

My laptop is a mystery- I've had many people try to download latex, but no one has had any luck

Attachments

• Photo on 19-03-2016 at 14.35.jpg
    Photo on 19-03-2016 at 14.35.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 465
Your solution looks good.

PF's LaTeX does not require any extensions or software to be added to your browser or machine. It's a feature that's managed externally. It may, however, require that certain character set capabilities exist in the browser. You might try testing another browser just to see if it's a browser issue. I think there's versions of Chrome and Firefox for mac.

Edit: You might check your browser version against the supported versions at the http://mathjax.readthedocs.org/en/latest/misc/browser-compatibility.html.

Last edited:
Your solution looks good. To do Latex, type this
Code:
\eta  = \sqrt[3]{{\frac{{4G\rho \pi }}{{3\omega ^2 }}}}
and put tex tags around it.

Related to Geostationary satellite orbit radius as a multiple of Earth radius.

1. What is a geostationary satellite orbit radius?

A geostationary satellite orbit radius is the distance from the center of the Earth to the point where a satellite's orbit intersects with the Earth's equatorial plane. It is often expressed as a multiple of the Earth's radius, with a geostationary orbit being 35,786 km above the Earth's surface, or about 4.2 Earth radii.

2. Why is the geostationary satellite orbit radius important?

The geostationary satellite orbit radius is important because it is the ideal distance for a satellite to maintain a fixed position relative to the Earth's surface. This allows for continuous communication and data transmission between the satellite and ground stations.

3. How is the geostationary satellite orbit radius calculated?

The geostationary satellite orbit radius is calculated using the equation R = (G x M x T^2 / 4π^2)^(1/3), where R is the radius, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and T is the orbital period of the satellite. This calculation takes into account the gravitational pull of the Earth and the centripetal force required for a satellite to maintain its orbit.

4. Can the geostationary satellite orbit radius change?

The geostationary satellite orbit radius can change slightly due to factors such as atmospheric drag, solar radiation, and gravitational influences from other celestial bodies. However, these changes are small and can be corrected through regular adjustments to the satellite's orbit.

5. What are the benefits of using a geostationary satellite orbit radius as a multiple of Earth radius?

Using a multiple of the Earth's radius for the geostationary satellite orbit allows for easier calculation and comparison of different satellites' orbits. It also ensures that all geostationary satellites are at a safe distance from each other, reducing the risk of collisions and interference. Additionally, a higher orbit allows for a wider coverage area and longer satellite lifespan due to reduced atmospheric drag.