Geometric random variable with probability mass function

In summary, the conversation is about finding the mean and variance of a geometric random variable with probability mass function P(X=n) = p(1-p)^n for n = 0,1,2,3... There is a discussion about the correct formula for geometric distribution and a suggestion to look at a specific website for help. The conversation also mentions finding the sum of the sequence to find the mean, but there are difficulties with this approach. Finally, someone suggests using the moment generating function and differentiating at t=0 to find the mean and variance, while another person points out that the sum of the infinite series is 1.
playboy
If you have a geometric random variable with probability mass function:

P(X=n) = p(1-p)^n n = 0,1,2,3...

Find the Mean and the Variance.

----------------------------

Okay, I've looked everywhere and tried everything, however, i just cannot get it.

i think that your supposed to find the sum of this sequence to find the mean. I tried everything. I just tried the integral test. Anybody got any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might have tried writing the correct formula for geometric distribution.

It is pn-1(1-p)n, not p(1-p)n.

And you might try looking here:
http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/canty/teaching/stat2d03/lectures4.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
No.. i actually mean

" P(X=n) = p(1-p)^n n = 0,1,2,3... " That is the geometric one I am looking for.

AND NOT

" p^n-1(1-p)^n " by the way that may not be right, you must mean "p(1-p)^n-1 n = 1,2,3..." take a look at the beginning of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_distribution

And its actually ironic how that website you gave me is the EXACT course I am doing right now.. that's my prof! :)

But back to the work... i still cannot figure out how to get the sum of that sequence.

We did this by finding the moment generating function and then differentiating at t=0.

playboy said:
If you have a geometric random variable with probability mass function:
P(X=n) = p(1-p)^n n = 0,1,2,3...
Find the Mean and the Variance.
----------------------------
Okay, I've looked everywhere and tried everything, however, i just cannot get it.
i think that your supposed to find the sum of this sequence to find the mean. I tried everything. I just tried the integral test. Anybody got any ideas?

I'm pretty sure the sum of the infinite series there is 1. You factor out the p and then 1-p=q, so you have p*SUMq^n (0<=q<=1) which is (from calculus) p*1/(1-q) and 1-q =p...which is p/p=1. That's the proof that the sum of all of the possible outcomes is 1.

Related to Geometric random variable with probability mass function

1. What is a geometric random variable?

A geometric random variable is a discrete random variable that represents the number of trials needed to achieve a success in a sequence of independent and identical trials. It is often used to model situations where there is a fixed probability of success and repeated trials until the first success occurs.

2. What is the probability mass function for a geometric random variable?

The probability mass function for a geometric random variable is given by P(X = k) = (1-p)^(k-1) * p, where p is the probability of success on each trial and k is the number of trials.

3. How is a geometric random variable different from a binomial random variable?

A geometric random variable only represents the number of trials until the first success, while a binomial random variable represents the number of successes in a fixed number of trials. Additionally, the probability of success in a geometric random variable remains constant throughout the trials, while the probability of success in a binomial random variable can change.

4. What is the expected value of a geometric random variable?

The expected value, or mean, of a geometric random variable is equal to 1/p. This means that on average, it would take 1/p trials to achieve a success in a sequence of independent and identical trials.

5. Can a geometric random variable take on negative values?

No, a geometric random variable can only take on positive integer values, representing the number of trials needed to achieve a success. It cannot take on negative values or non-integer values.