Geometric Optics: Snell's Law calculation problem

In summary, the angle of incidence for an angle of refraction of 10° from diamond to air is 4.1°. However, there seems to be a discrepancy in the question and the given answer, as the question statement suggests the angle of refraction is in air while the given answer implies it is in diamond.
StupidGenius

Homework Statement

Calculate the angle of incidence for an angle of refraction of 10° for
a) Diamond (2.42) to air

θ2=Angle of refraction=10°
n2=Index of refraction on refractive medium=1
n1=index of refraction on incident medium=2.42
θ1=?

Homework Equations

n1sinθ1=n2sinθ2

The Attempt at a Solution

The book's answer tells me the answer is 24.8°

I rearranged the equation to find theta1 or the angle of incidence
θ1=sin inverse(n2sinθ2/n1)

I substituted the values and I got 4.1°

Can someone help me? I can't figure out what I did wrong. Light is coming from a dense medium to a less dense medium (diamond to air) so where the incident ray originated from the dense medium which is n2. So confused..

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like the 10 degree angle is in the diamond, not in the air.

Redbelly98 said:
Looks like the 10 degree angle is in the diamond, not in the air.

Doesn't the light refract in the rare medium meaning the angle of refraction is in the air?

StupidGenius said:
Doesn't the light refract in the rare medium meaning the angle of refraction is in the air?

Depends what the question is...

in the question, is light traveling from air to diamond or from diamond to air?

if latter case is correct then your set up seems to be right...

if the first case is correct then set up must be changed

Okay, reading things more carefully, it looks like whoever wrote this question messed up.

The question statement says "diamond to air", suggesting diamond is the incident medium. The refracted angle (10°) would then be in air.

But the given answer, 24.8°, implies they meant things the other way around.

4.1° is correct, given what the question asked.

Related to Geometric Optics: Snell's Law calculation problem

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction for a ray of light passing through a boundary between two different transparent materials. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two materials.

2. How is Snell's Law calculated?

Snell's Law can be calculated using the formula n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the indices of refraction for the two materials and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively. This formula can also be written as n1/n2 = sinθ2/sinθ1. The indices of refraction can be found in a table or measured experimentally.

3. What is the difference between the angles of incidence and refraction?

The angle of incidence is the angle between the incident ray and the normal line (perpendicular line) at the boundary between the two materials. The angle of refraction is the angle between the refracted ray and the same normal line. These angles are measured with respect to the surface of the boundary between the materials.

4. What factors affect the calculation of Snell's Law?

The main factors that affect the calculation of Snell's Law are the indices of refraction for the two materials and the angles of incidence and refraction. The indices of refraction depend on the properties of the materials, such as their density and chemical composition. The angles of incidence and refraction can be changed by altering the direction or speed of the incident ray.

5. How is Snell's Law used in real life?

Snell's Law has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in the design of lenses for eyeglasses, cameras, and telescopes, as well as in the construction of optical instruments like microscopes and binoculars. It is also important in the study of atmospheric optics, such as the formation of rainbows and mirages. In addition, Snell's Law is used in industries such as telecommunications and fiber optics, where the transmission of light through different materials is crucial.