Geometric expressions for a quarter circle cut at an arbitrary point

In summary, the individual areas (top and bottom) and their respective centroids (x1, y1 and x2, y2) of a quarter-circle split into two segments along either its domain or range can be expressed using the equations for the area of a circle and the equation of a quarter circle. The y-bar for the top section can be calculated using the equation: \bar{y}=\frac{4Rsin^{3}(\frac{1}{2}θ)}{3(θ-sin(θ))}. The average of the top and bottom y-bar must equal the quadrant based on their areas, so the total y-bar can be obtained by taking the weighted average of the top and bottom y-bar. Similarly
Engineering01

Homework Statement

I am after finding general geometric expressions for a quarter-circle that is split into two segments along either its domain or range (they are equal). I.e. Taking the circle shown in Figure 1 and concentrating on the upper right quadrant, I am after expressions for the individual areas (top and bottom) and their respective centroids x1, y1 and x2, y2 (Figure 2) when cut at "c".

Figure 1:
AL6SzPl.jpg

Figure 2:
HZgQwgo.jpg

Homework Equations

Area of circle = ∏r[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Equation of quarter circle: y(x) = √(x[itex]^{2}[/itex]-r[itex]^{2}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

Apart from stating the obvious equations (above) I’m stuck on this problem.

I have searched my textbooks/google (using general key words) for expressions of this particular case with no luck.

I have never been strong with deriving expressions from first principals and would appreciate any ideas/push in the right direction. This is a problem directed at self-study, not homework.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you immagine the other half of the circle you can use the equation:
[itex]\bar{y}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{4Rsin^{3}(\frac{1}{2}θ[STRIKE][/STRIKE])}{3(θ-sin(θ))}[/itex]
where θ is the theoretical angle to create the chord to get your y bar for the top section. Then you can calculate the y bar for the whole quadrant by using the equation:
[itex]\bar{y}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{4R}{3π}[/itex]
Since the average of the top and bottom y bar have to equal the quadrant based on their area you can take the weighted average of the top area and the y bar with the weighted average of the bottom area equaling the total area and the total y bar. From that you can get your y bars and then you can do the same thing for the x bars. Might sound confusing so if you don't understand let me know, I'll try my best.

Area of top part:
A=[itex]\frac{R^{2}}{2}[/itex](θ-sin(θ))

Related to Geometric expressions for a quarter circle cut at an arbitrary point

1. What is a quarter circle cut at an arbitrary point?

A quarter circle cut at an arbitrary point is a geometric shape that is created when a quarter circle is divided into two smaller sections by a line that passes through the center of the circle and an arbitrary point on the circle's circumference.

2. How is the area of a quarter circle cut at an arbitrary point calculated?

The area of a quarter circle cut at an arbitrary point can be calculated using the formula A = (1/4)πr^2, where r is the radius of the circle. This formula takes into account both the area of the quarter circle and the area of the triangle formed by the cut.

3. How does the location of the arbitrary point affect the shape of the quarter circle cut?

The location of the arbitrary point on the circle's circumference will determine the size and shape of the two sections created by the cut. If the point is closer to the center of the circle, the sections will be more equal in size. If the point is closer to the edge of the circle, one section will be larger than the other.

4. Can the quarter circle be cut at any point on its circumference?

Yes, the quarter circle can be cut at any point on its circumference. This includes points that are located on the edge of the circle, as well as points that are located closer to the center of the circle.

5. How is a quarter circle cut at an arbitrary point used in real life?

A quarter circle cut at an arbitrary point can be seen in various objects and structures, such as circular tables, clock faces, and pizza slices. It is also used in engineering and construction to create curved structures and designs.