Geology vs Geography: Job Market & Pay Comparison

In summary, the individual is currently considering majoring in Earth science and is taking geology, geography, and oceanography courses. They are wondering which field within Earth science is more financially stable and pays more. However, they also mention wanting to figure out what happened to Earth in the past. It is noted that the field of geosciences as a whole has a limited number of job openings, but there is potential for growth. The individual also mentions considering their interests and career advancement opportunities, rather than just focusing on money.
giovanniology
Hello earthlings...
I'm undecided about what to major in. But I do know that its got to be in a Earth science. At present I'm taking geology..in the summer I'll be taking geography. Then in the fall I'll be taking oceanography.
My question is which one pays more and is more stable in the job market?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, your question is wrong. It should be: 'How am I going to figure out what happened to Earth in the past?'

Last edited:
giovanniology said:
Hello earthlings...
I'm undecided about what to major in. But I do know that its got to be in a Earth science. At present I'm taking geology..in the summer I'll be taking geography. Then in the fall I'll be taking oceanography.
Here you go.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/geoscientists.htm

As for which is higher paying and more stable, hard to say. There aren't many openings, for the entire field of all geosciences there are less than 40k positions in the US. They do predict growth, but they don't say in which field.

Last edited:
giovanniology said:
Hello earthlings...

If your primary goal in choosing a vocation is money, you might as well be selling shoes.

Obviously their primary goal in choosing a vocation isn't money. You can tell this firstly because they list a second criteria for deciding between majors, and secondly because they've already narrowed the field down to to careers that aren't particularly lucrative.

This is the careers section of the forum. Asking which degree or specialty within one's area of interest offers more financial stability is entirely appropriate.

If you're willing to get practical, there are still loads of GIS efforts in many utilities where a degree in Geography with a specialty in cartography is quite appropriate. These offer interesting opportunities for career advancement.

Related to Geology vs Geography: Job Market & Pay Comparison

1. What is the main difference between geology and geography?

Geology is the study of the Earth's materials, processes, and history, while geography is the study of the Earth's physical features, atmosphere, and human activity. Geology focuses on the Earth's structure and composition, whereas geography looks at how humans interact with the Earth.

2. Which field has a better job market and pay?

The job market and pay for geology and geography can vary depending on location and specific job roles. Generally, geologists tend to have a higher demand and higher pay as their skills are needed in industries such as mining and oil exploration. However, geography professionals also have a strong job market in fields such as urban planning and environmental management.

3. Are there any overlapping career paths between geology and geography?

Yes, there are some overlapping career paths between geology and geography. Some examples include environmental geologists, who study the impact of human activity on the Earth's surface, and physical geographers, who study the Earth's landforms and processes. Both fields also have roles in resource management and land use planning.

4. Is a degree in geology or geography more valuable in the job market?

Both degrees have value in the job market, but it ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career goals. A degree in geology may be more valuable for those interested in careers in resource extraction, while a degree in geography may be more valuable for those interested in urban planning or environmental management.

5. Are there opportunities for advancement in both fields?

Yes, there are opportunities for advancement in both geology and geography. With experience and further education, professionals in both fields can become senior geologists or geographers, lead research projects, or become managers or directors in their respective industries. Additionally, both fields have opportunities for further specialization and advanced degrees.