Geodesics - Some help, please.

In summary: It's a slice where all the points on a spherical shell at r are simultaneous, so it's a slice through the static Schwarzschild space-time.In summary, the conversation was discussing an image depicting the projection of GR Geodesics onto 3-D space. The person was looking for a formula to draw concentric circles in the image given a mass. The formula can be found in the discussion of "Flamm's paraboloid" in the wiki article about the Schwarzschild metric. The conversation then moved on to discussing the interpretation of the dimension pointing into the "gravity well" in the image. It was concluded that the vertical dimension has no physical significance and the diagram is just a visual aid to illustrate the curved spatial
RCopernicus
We've all seen an image similar to this one:

Gravity.jpg

This is displaying the projection of GR Geodesics onto 3-D space (well, 2D in the picture). I'm still working my way through the General Relativity texts, so I'm not yet able to do the calculation on my own. Can anyone give me a formula that I can poke into a simulation that takes the mass an input parameter and gives me the geodesic coordinate system projected onto the 2-D space? I'm basically looking to draw the concentric circles in the above picture (given a mass).

Physics news on Phys.org
RCopernicus said:
We've all seen an image similar to this one:

<snip>

This is displaying the projection of GR Geodesics onto 3-D space (well, 2D in the picture). I'm still working my way through the General Relativity texts, so I'm not yet able to do the calculation on my own. Can anyone give me a formula that I can poke into a simulation that takes the mass an input parameter and gives me the geodesic coordinate system projected onto the 2-D space? I'm basically looking to draw the concentric circles in the above picture (given a mass).

I think what you are looking for is called an embedding diagram, in particular the diagram you show embeds the 2 dimensional equatorial plane of a massive body in the curved Schwarzschild space-time onto a 3d surface, as a visual aid to understanding the curved spatial geometry of the equatorial (r, theta) plane.

The exact formula can be found be found in the discussion of "Flamm's paraboliod" in the wiki article about the Schwarzschild metric, i.e. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Schwarzschild_metric&oldid=628392899#Flamm.27s_paraboloid

pervect said:
I think what you are looking for is called an embedding diagram, in particular the diagram you show embeds the 2 dimensional equatorial plane of a massive body in the curved Schwarzschild space-time onto a 3d surface, as a visual aid to understanding the curved spatial geometry of the equatorial (r, theta) plane.

The exact formula can be found be found in the discussion of "Flamm's paraboliod" in the wiki article about the Schwarzschild metric, i.e. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Schwarzschild_metric&oldid=628392899#Flamm.27s_paraboloid

Thanks for the post. Very helpful.
Here's a follow up question: In the diagram above, we see a star that appears to be sitting in some sort of well. The coordinate system of space-time appears to curve into this well making it appear like the spaceship is sitting at a higher potential than the star at the bottom of the well. What isn't obvious is what dimension is pointing into the well? My first reflect was 'time', but upon more reflection, I think it's 'velocity' (inasmuch as the velocity is a projection of the geodesics on a 2-D surface). Is that a fair interpretation?

RCopernicus said:
Thanks for the post. Very helpful.
Here's a follow up question: In the diagram above, we see a star that appears to be sitting in some sort of well. The coordinate system of space-time appears to curve into this well making it appear like the spaceship is sitting at a higher potential than the star at the bottom of the well. What isn't obvious is what dimension is pointing into the well? My first reflect was 'time', but upon more reflection, I think it's 'velocity' (inasmuch as the velocity is a projection of the geodesics on a 2-D surface). Is that a fair interpretation?

As far as I know the vertical dimension has no physical significance, and it's a matter of convention whether it's a well or a mountain. The diagram is a visual aid, really, it illustrates a hypothetical 3d surface that gives the correct distances between pairs of points in space. Note that the diagram presupposes a particular slicing of space-time (because it suppresses the t coordinate). The diagram illustrates that given this particular slice, space is curved.

Related to Geodesics - Some help, please.

1. What are geodesics?

Geodesics are the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. They are similar to straight lines on a flat surface.

2. How are geodesics helpful in navigation?

Geodesics are crucial in navigation as they help determine the most efficient and shortest route between two points on a curved surface, such as the Earth's surface. This is important for transportation and logistics, as well as for mapping and surveying.

3. Are geodesics only applicable to the Earth's surface?

No, geodesics can be applied to any curved surface, including the surface of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies. They can also be used in theoretical physics and mathematics to study curved space-time.

4. How are geodesics different from a straight line?

Geodesics are similar to straight lines on a flat surface, but they are not the same. On a curved surface, geodesics take into account the curvature of the surface and follow the path of minimal distance. Straight lines, on the other hand, do not take into account the curvature of the surface and may not be the shortest path between two points.

5. Can geodesics be calculated manually?

Yes, geodesics can be calculated manually using mathematical equations and formulas. However, due to the complex nature of curved surfaces, it is more common to use computer algorithms and software to calculate geodesics.