Genetic Variance Between Pops as compared Within Pops

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variance
In summary, the conversation discusses how intra-group variation is responsible for the majority of variation in the human genome. This is seen in a regression equation where the dependent variable is the index of the genome for each individual in a specific group, and the independent variables are indicators for each group. The R^2 statistic is expected to be 0.15, indicating a poor fit.
Simfish
Gold Member
As it often said, the majority of the variation in the human genome is due to intra-group variation, not inter-group variation (I think .85 is the number due to intra-group variation). I know what this intuitively means, but can anyone explain to me what it rigorously means? (in statistical terms?)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how group is defined, but it doesn't matter as long as YOU know.

Suppose you have a numeric index of human genome code for each individual i in group g. Let that index be Y: H --> R. That is, for genome h in H, Y(h) is a real number. Each group is a subset of H. Subscript i indexes the h's in group g; i = 1, ..., Ig where Ig is the number of h's in group g. There are k groups.

A regression equation of the following form is estimated:

yi,j = a + b1d1 + ... + bkdk + ui,j

where the dependent variable is Y(hi,j) = yi,j and the independent variables are the d's; u is the error term. For each g, dg = 1 if j = g (that is, hi,j is in group g), dg = 0 otherwise. The R^2 statistic of the estimated equation is expected to be 0.15 (a poor fit).

Last edited:

In statistical terms, the statement that the majority of the variation in the human genome is due to intra-group variation means that within a given population, there is a higher amount of genetic variation between individuals than there is between different populations. This is often measured by a statistic called Fst, which quantifies the genetic differences between populations. A high Fst value indicates a greater degree of genetic variation between populations, while a low Fst value indicates a higher degree of genetic similarity within a population.

In this case, an Fst value of 0.85 suggests that 85% of the genetic variation in the human genome can be attributed to differences between individuals within a population, while only 15% can be attributed to differences between different populations. This can be further explained by the fact that humans have a relatively recent common ancestor and have been evolving in a relatively similar environment, leading to a higher degree of genetic similarity between populations.

Overall, the statement highlights the importance of considering genetic variation within a population rather than solely focusing on differences between populations. It also highlights the fact that there is more genetic diversity within a population than there is between different populations, emphasizing the need to study and understand genetic variation at a local level.

Related to Genetic Variance Between Pops as compared Within Pops

1. What is genetic variance between populations?

Genetic variance between populations is the variation in genetic traits and characteristics between different groups of individuals within a species. This variation is due to differences in genetic makeup and can result in distinct physical and biological differences between populations.

2. How is genetic variance between populations measured?

Genetic variance between populations is measured using various statistical methods, including F-statistics and genetic distance calculations. These methods compare the genetic variation within populations to the genetic variation between populations to determine the degree of genetic differentiation between groups.

3. What factors contribute to genetic variance between populations?

Genetic variance between populations can be influenced by a variety of factors, including geographic barriers, natural selection, genetic drift, and gene flow. These factors can lead to differences in gene frequencies and the accumulation of genetic variation over time.

4. How does genetic variance between populations affect biodiversity?

Genetic variance between populations is an important factor in maintaining biodiversity within a species. It allows for the existence of different genetic traits and adaptations that can increase the resilience and survival of a species in changing environments.

5. What are the potential applications of studying genetic variance between populations?

Studying genetic variance between populations can have various applications, including understanding the evolutionary history of a species, identifying population-specific adaptations, and informing conservation efforts. It can also help in the study of human populations and the genetic basis of diseases and traits.