Generating polynomials for a multistep method

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of generating polynomials in solving ODEs and how they are implemented in the difference equation. The coefficients of the polynomials can be normalized to either a_k = 1 or sigma(1) = 1. The best way to understand their use is through practice with various examples. The person seeking clarification is struggling to understand the concept behind the generating polynomials and how they are obtained. They mention their notes only briefly touch on the topic and do not provide a clear explanation. The conversation also suggests looking at the concept of generating functions for further understanding.
dynamicskillingme
Hi, I'm struggling to understand how the generating polynomials work and are implemented in the difference equation for a general ODE y' = f(t,y)
Difference Equation
D%20h%20%5Csum_%7Bj%3D0%7D%5E%7Bk%7D%20b_%7Bj%7D%20f%28t_%7Bn+j%7D%2C%20y_%7Bn+j%7D%29.gif

Generating polynomials
%7D%20%5C%5C%20%5Csigma%20%28w%29%20%3D%20%5Csum%5E%7Bk%7D_%7Bj%3D0%7D%20b_%7Bj%7D%20w%5E%7Bj%7D.gif

"Coefficients are normalized either by a_k = 1 or sigma(1) = 1

Physics news on Phys.org
You can gain understanding by doing examples: lots and lots of examples.
Do you have a specific question?

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I don't understand the concept behind the generating polynomials. My notes state the examples of the three theta methods but I can't understand how they are obtained (e.g. implicit euler is sigma(w) = w )

You notes just say there are these things called generating polynomials that can be used t help solve ODE's but does not tell you what they generate or how the method is motivated?

Have you seen:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generating_function

Related to Generating polynomials for a multistep method

What is the purpose of generating polynomials for a multistep method?

The purpose of generating polynomials for a multistep method is to find a relationship between the previous and current values of a function, in order to predict future values. This is particularly useful in numerical analysis and solving differential equations.

How are polynomials generated for a multistep method?

Polynomials for a multistep method are generated using a combination of the Taylor series expansion and the method of undetermined coefficients. This involves finding a polynomial that satisfies the desired accuracy and stability criteria for the multistep method.

What is the difference between explicit and implicit multistep methods?

Explicit multistep methods use only known values of a function to calculate the next value, while implicit methods also use future values. This makes implicit methods more accurate, but also more computationally intensive.

What is the advantage of using multistep methods over single-step methods?

Multistep methods are advantageous because they use multiple previous values of a function to predict future values, resulting in a more accurate solution. They also have a larger stability region, meaning they can handle larger step sizes without becoming unstable.

What are some common types of multistep methods?

Some common types of multistep methods include the Adams-Bashforth method, the Adams-Moulton method, and the backward differentiation formula (BDF) method. Each of these methods has its own unique algorithm for generating polynomials and predicting future values of a function.