Generating EUV Light Without High Costs

• Thread starter YoshiBeans
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
YoshiBeans
My question is: if you had no requirements for specific wavelength, intensity, duration, etc., are there ways of producing euv light (<150nm) without billions of dollars of equipment and power requirements in the KWs at most. Any Ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No. This is an area of technology where if you have to ask us, the answer is no.
BTW, "no requirements for specific wavelength, intensity, duration"; really?
Also, it's not billions, maybe a million dollars to do something useful with euv.

The closest cheap way that I know of would be a gas discharge lamp, Xe, Ar, Kr, Hg, etc. But you'll mostly get longer wavelengths.

Likes Astronuc, russ_watters, Rive and 1 other person
YoshiBeans said:
no requirements for specific wavelength, intensity, duration, etc. ... are there ways of producing euv light (<150nm)
Be more careful with your definitions, please. Right now, it includes soft X-ray too, and all you need for that is an old style CRT tube.

Rive said:
Be more careful with your definitions, please. Right now, it includes basic X-ray too, and all you need for that is an old style CRT tube.
Good point. Also cosmic rays, they're free.
The broader point is that NOBODY that needs EUV will have no specifications.
I'd also warn about skin cancer, burns, and cataracts, but this isn't actually going to happen, so I'm not worried.

Likes russ_watters and Rive
Wow, quick responses. Ok, fair points above, and I think I have my answer now anyway.
Just for the sake of completeness, I would be thinking of the range from approx. 125-150nm. Meaning the discharge lamps are unfortunately too long wave.

DaveE said:
No. This is an area of technology where if you have to ask us, the answer is no.
BTW, "no requirements for specific wavelength, intensity, duration"; really?
Also, it's not billions, maybe a million dollars to do something useful with euv.

The closest cheap way that I know of would be a gas discharge lamp, Xe, Ar, Kr, Hg, etc. But you'll mostly get longer wavelengths.
Can i ask what you mean by "do something useful"?

YoshiBeans said:
Can i ask what you mean by "do something useful"?
IDK, maybe ask google? The only euv application that comes to my mind is lithography or maybe micromachining?

DaveE said:
IDK, maybe ask google? The only euv application that comes to my mind is lithography or maybe micromachining?
Google was my first stop, hence my attempt to tap the big brains.

Appreciate the help all the same. Guess ill keep my fingers crossed for some significant innovation in the area.

Related to Generating EUV Light Without High Costs

1. What is EUV light and why is it important?

EUV (extreme ultraviolet) light is a type of electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength range of 100-10 nanometers. It is important because it is used in various technologies such as lithography for microchip production and in scientific research.

2. How is EUV light currently generated and why is it costly?

EUV light is currently generated using a process called laser-produced plasma, where a high-powered laser is directed at a target material to create a plasma that emits EUV light. This process is costly because it requires expensive equipment and precise control to produce the desired wavelength and intensity of EUV light.

3. What are some potential methods for generating EUV light without high costs?

Some potential methods for generating EUV light without high costs include using alternative target materials, such as tin instead of xenon, and developing new laser technologies that are more efficient and cost-effective.

4. What are the challenges in developing low-cost EUV light generation methods?

One of the main challenges in developing low-cost EUV light generation methods is achieving the necessary intensity and stability of the light. Additionally, finding alternative target materials that can produce EUV light at the desired wavelength range is also a challenge.

5. How could the development of low-cost EUV light generation impact various industries?

The development of low-cost EUV light generation could have a significant impact on industries such as microchip production, where EUV light is used for lithography. It could also benefit scientific research by making EUV light more accessible for various experiments and studies.