Generate All Permutations of Sn from An and 1 Odd Permutation

In summary, it is generally true that given the alternating group An and one odd permutation, it is possible to generate all of the permutation group Sn. This is because in any group, multiplying on the left by an element is a bijection, which can be used to prove this for the general case of Sn for n≥2. Note that the case n=1 is an exception, as A1=S1. This information can be used in a presentation.
gravenewworld
say you have the alternating group An for some permutation group Sn. If you are given An and then 1 odd permutation, must you be able to generate all of Sn? I tried it for S3 and I multiplied all the even perms in S3 by only 1 element that wasn't in A3 and was able to generate all of S3. Does this hold for any n?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is generally true.
Note that in any group multiplication on the left by an element in the group is a bijection.
[tex]ax=b \iff x=a^{-1}b[/tex]
Use this to prove it for the general case [itex]S_n ,n\geq 2[/itex]
The case n=1 is special, since the A1=S1.

Alright thanks a lot galileo. I just wanted to be sure of that fact before I brought it up in my presentation that I have to give.

Related to Generate All Permutations of Sn from An and 1 Odd Permutation

1. What is the purpose of generating all permutations of Sn from An and 1 Odd Permutation?

The purpose of generating all permutations of Sn from An and 1 Odd Permutation is to find all possible arrangements of a set of elements, also known as permutations. This can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics.

2. How do you generate all permutations of Sn from An and 1 Odd Permutation?

To generate all permutations of Sn from An and 1 Odd Permutation, you can use various algorithms such as Heap's algorithm, Johnson-Trotter algorithm, or Steinhaus-Johnson-Trotter algorithm. These algorithms use different approaches to systematically generate all possible permutations without repetition.

3. What is the difference between Sn and An in generating permutations?

In generating permutations, Sn refers to a permutation of n elements, while An refers to a permutation of n elements without repeating any elements. In other words, Sn can have repeated elements, while An cannot. The number of permutations for Sn is n!, while the number of permutations for An is n!/(n-r)! where r is the number of elements in the permutation.

4. Can generating all permutations of Sn from An and 1 Odd Permutation be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, generating permutations can be applied to real-life situations such as scheduling tasks, arranging seating at events, or analyzing data in statistics. In these situations, finding all possible arrangements can help with decision-making and optimization.

5. Are there any limitations in generating all permutations of Sn from An and 1 Odd Permutation?

Yes, there are limitations in generating all permutations. As the number of elements increases, the number of permutations also increases exponentially. This can make it computationally expensive and time-consuming to generate all permutations for large sets of elements. In such cases, it may be more efficient to use other methods or algorithms to find a subset of permutations instead of all possible permutations.